• Show
Clear All

• Local Quartz Types from Carolina

Here is a example of local quartz types from the Carolinas
    Crystaline Quartz

Milky Quartz

Sugar Quartz , Quartzite

Smoky Quartz

Those are nice Butch. Have you ever seen a well made quartz point? The top workmanship doesn't look to bad. I think per capita Carolina has the most quartz points if I am not mistaken. Must have been some hard stuff to work with, but can't help but love the tranlucency in them though. Nice stuff!-Bill

Comment

Butch - That is the best example of quartz types that I have ever seen.  I pland to print that and keep it handy as I run across quartz once in a blue moon.  Thanks for the info and pics.   ---Chuck
      Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

Quartz points are my favorite points, I guess because there are a lot of them in the Carolinas. The material is so hard to work most appear crude, but there are some nice ones out there. By the way, the nature of working quartz does not show much flaking patterns.

Comment

That is what I have noticed Butch, they are rough in most examples that I have seen. Like I stated before the example in your top photo might be the nicest one I have ever seen. The ancients used what was available in their area though, and in Carolina that appears to be the stuff!-Bill

Comment

I am right in the heart of quartz country. Most of the points I find are quartz. I do find a good bit of ryolite on some sites and some other type materials but quartz is the dominant. For the most part the quartz ones are not made to good but some are really nice.

Comment

Real nice Quartz, there, fellows!!!  Hard to work on for sure.  Anything like those are exceptional.  A lot of hunting time to get fine ones.  I hunted in SC/Piedmont just a few times along the Pacolet?, Enoree, Saluda......Jeez, can't remember was over 35 years ago..!!  Had shale material, too. 
              Man, that's tough for material, but they made the best of it.  Also had soapstone up 'ere!
              Niiiiice Quartz!
              My best find in SC was my wife! Found her in Spartanburg   And an axe...... :lol:
              Professor Shellman
              Tampa Bay

Comment

Those all are nice! Ive never found any but seen some other people have found and the quality of material and workmanship up here is not even close to those.

Comment

shartis, thanks for posting the pix. Those are some great quartz points.

Comment

Tom, Wow! A wife that comes with her own axe! Perfect.

Comment

I changed the Smoky Quartz pix, I don't know how I forgot about this one it's my favorite.

Comment

All quartz artifacts are not fat and ugly- Here's a few killers-
                        The large 5 1/2" blade is citrine quartz (yellow quartz) and the Clovis is rose quartz. Both are from Eastern NC.

Comment

The Clovis, found in 1998. It was a lot longer at one time, with that width.

Comment

Very Nice Cliff, Thanks for posting. Do you have a example of that very common Field Quartz ?

Comment

Nice points Butch and Cliffj. Here is one that looks like the smokey crystal you first posted. It was found on a camp site by a friend of mine. I am sure they were going to make something out of it. The other is some I found over the years. Lots of quartz Guilfords and Morrow Mountains. Lots and lots of quartz around here.

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
                                SurfaceHunter commented
                                Editing a comment
                                I call this guy the Quartz King!! I still text him from time to time my finds. He shows me his recent finds and most times it’s more than I’ve found all year. He is still collecting can you imagine the amount he has?
                            Working...
                            X