No announcement yet.

Local Quartz Types from Carolina

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, I can't imagine picking up that many Morrow Mountains and Guilfords. Thats a lot of Quartz points.

Comment

Shartis, there is a well known Quartz deposit in Lancaster county. The matrix around the huge oucropping contains Smoky quartz crystals, some double terminated. Could be where your crystal traveled from.

Comment

Those are nice. I have only picked up a couple like that but not nearly as nice. I know were some out croppings of quartz are and have looked around them but not found any crystals like that. There are big quartz boulders with quartz everywhere but I could not find a crystal. Do most outcroppings have crystals around Them?

Comment

Shartis,I don't think that happens often. I guess the conditions were just right at this outcroping.

Comment

Butch here is another piece, half quartz half something, that my friend found on the same camp site.It was brought in for some reason becouse this site doesn't have raw quartz laying around like most of mine. Don't know what they were going in to use it for.

Comment

I haven't a clue, by the way keep your eyes open around those quartz deposits for that "Yaller Metal" there were hundreds of gold mines in that part of Carolina. So many that the US Government established a mint in the largest town in the area, Charlotte.

Comment

He also found this piece on the site. Looks like micca/quartz and looks to have been used as a hammerstone.

Comment

Sam - I'm absolutely blown away.  Where in the ..ll did ya get all em points.  I ain't never seen that many in one place cept the National Museum.  Wow.  Did ya find all those.  Course if some of the collections that I've seen under glass were spread out they might appear the same.  Just mind boggling to see all of them spread out that way. ---Chuck
                  Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

Butch I have not found any gold yet but have been looking and thinking about panning some, My brother has some land with a nice rocky creek thru it near Martins Gold Mine in York County. If you are in to panning let me now.
                    Scorpion= I have been fortunate to live where there is a lot of stuff and the farmers were nice. Also  a few of the jobs I had put me in contact with land owners all over the county and the job I have now kind of does to. 36 years of looking. Not to much plowed up anymore though. I just posted some of my better stuff on my picture ablum thing that I just figured out how to use. Thanks

Comment

Allright, let me try a first post and see if I can post pics
                      and only have it post once. :unsure:
                      Quartz is one of my favorite rocks. Just as there are hundreds
                      of varieties of rhyolite in the Slate Belt of the Piedmont of
                      the Southeastern United States, there are hundreds of varieties of
                      quartz as well. The further you get away from the Slate Belt, east
                      or west, the more quartz you will find being utilized. The
                      secondary status attributed to quartz by many archaeologists and
                      collectors alike really depends on "where" you are talking about.
                      In rock poor regions, such as the Coastal Plains, quartz cobbles
                      from creeks and streams were very much utilized.
                      I am located in Wake County NC, where there is a good mix of
                      materials, but the further east you go, the less rhyolite you will
                      see. By the amount of quartz artifacts in Shartis' collection I
                      would venture to guess he was located a bit further east of me?
                      Your chalcedonies, ie; Agate,Jasper,Chert,and Flint are also in the
                      Quartz family. Exact same chemical signature, just a different
                      process of formation. Which brings me to the point I wanted to make.
                      Quartz and Quartzite are two completely different animals. Formed
                      completely differently. It is good to know the difference to
                      understand the animal.
                      I wanted to add this two cents because quartz is always having
                      to struggle to be accepted as a valid lithic material and
                      someone needs to stick up for it!
                      Let me try and post a pic or two of some of the quartz points
                      I've found. First pic artifacts are from Wake Co. and the second
                      pic are points from a site in Granville Co.

http://www.varockhounder.com/uploads...4281312783.jpg not found
                      http://www.varockhounder.com/uploads...2813134693.jpg not found

JoeM

Comment

Thanks for the info JoeM. Interesting and some great looking quartz points. Thanks for showing.

Comment

These are from Coker Creek,Tn. Right on the N.Carolina border.

Comment

All look like morrow mountains? Nice! Mark.

Comment

Coker Creek,Tn.

Comment

Nice collection Dan!

Comment

Working...
                                X