No announcement yet.

Local Quartz Types from Carolina

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello, and thank you for taking the time to reply. It does not have a Diamond shaped cross section as your excellent samples show. It is most similar to your third pic down, rounded. Yet still mine is more elongated. I have just attached the best pic(IMO) I have of it. It is laying on the back of a Casio Scientific Calculator.
    Thank You and best regards,
    Timothy

Comment

Hello, what group/tribe/clan of people would have created yours? Mine seems to either a cruder or more beat up version of yours. It does not appear to be yellow though

Comment

Guilfords were way before "tribes" Middle Archic Period 6,000 to 4,000 years before present. I would call you point an archaic knife it's a bit beat up to type.

Comment

Kyrousis wrote:

Hello, what group/tribe/clan of people would have created yours? Mine seems to either a cruder or more beat up version of yours. It does not appear to be yellow though
          The group was called "The Guilford People" from the middle Archaic Period. I am sure your find is related.

Comment

Hi guys; I'm new. I was walking in my back yard this afternoon with my sons and found this beautiful quartz arrowhead on the ground. We live in central NC.

Does anyone know how old it might be? Our back yard is absolutely chock full of quartz. It looks like I'm not the first inhabitant to notice. ;O) Now I have to find at least one more (I have two boys!).

Comment

That is a beauty. Welcome to the forum. Can't help you with the type but there are folks from your region who will chime in for you I'm sure.
              Rhode Island

Comment

Borodog wrote:

Hi guys; I'm new. I was walking in my back yard this afternoon with my sons and found this beautiful quartz arrowhead on the ground. We live in central NC.

Does anyone know how old it might be? Our back yard is absolutely chock full of quartz. It looks like I'm not the first inhabitant to notice. ;O) Now I have to find at least one more (I have two boys!).
                That looks like a Kirk Corner notched with a little damage, made of quartz. That would be 6000 to 8000 or so years old. Nice NC find!

Comment

Thanks. I have a theory that the head may have been damaged in manufacture and discarded; there are a very large number of small sharp crystal quartz shards in the area, like it was a work site for knapping. They are sharp as hell too; sliced my finger open collecting some.

Comment

Also found what may have been a damaged and discarded blank; it's flat and looks to have been worked to a general arrowhead shape, but one of the corners where the notch goes looks to have been sheared off.

Comment

• Here is one my daughter found yesterday in our back yard in Durham. First time. I posted it tonight asking about it - have a look. Yours is awesome - the quartz is really clear!

Comment

• Technically these are not Carolina quartz. These points were found in Rhode Island by CMD, Charlie sent them to me as a gift. Weel, since the reside in NC now.........maybe they are Carolina quartz points! Thanks Charlie !

Comment

• Yep, they found a good home in a warmer clime
                          Rhode Island

Comment

• They say Quartz Crystal are one in a thousand in my area . Personal finds .

Comment

• Nice peices of quartz Southfork ! Those crystal points are beauties !

Comment

• Some real beauties there Dennis. Thanks for the look.
                                Some of those look like ice.
                                Michigan Yooper
                                If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Working...
                                X