Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone recognize this material found new engla

Anyone in new england recognize this material type if so where is it from

im guessing it came outta the water? does it scratch? maybe banded slate? or, if its more flint-like,maybe a chunk of normanskill chert?
    call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

It might be a high grade of rhyolite. Very nice lookng material. It does look river polished
      TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Could it be soapstone ! Does it have a slippery feel to it ? Sure has a nice shine to it as Hoss said !

Comment

Guys this is a rhyolite i think yea its water pollished i found it 12 yrs ago in a. Scallop boat on georges bank so your all rite about the pollish not sure what its doing out there but thats where it came from

Comment

Looks like a banded Rhyolite to me too. As for it being found on Georges Bank, the only thing I've found out there was some Cod on the several trips I've made to that location. It isn't surprising to me though, water levels 10k years ago were much much lower than they are today so that whole area was more than likely high and dry and the areas where we sit today, under a whole lotta ice! It certainly isn't the first artifact to be dredged up out of the depths off the Eastern seaboard. Cinmar Blade sound familiar?
            Southern Connecticut

Comment

Didnt that one come from. Virginia ovr a little farther south im really intrested more in the source area of the stone tha anything id just like to find a point made of it its nice stuff

Comment

Flow banded Rhyolite is volcanic and found through out the slate belt in the Carolinas and Virginia. I have a couple of points made from it although pretty hevily patinated.  There are sources in New England .

Comment

Working...
                X