Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone Know What this Material is?

Posted by [GarScale]:

One of my big ol honkin Paleos but I don't know what the material is. Anyone know?

where was it found?

Comment

Posted by [GarScale]:

Roy Nm

Comment

Garscale, it looks like Edwards Plateau chert. But what do I know I am not from Texas.
        Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

Looked like Edwards to me too.
          TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Hoss wrote:

Posted by [GarScale]:

Well I though so too but The good folks at Texas state scanned the lithic signature and it is wildly different than Edwards. They had nothing in the data base even close. It patinates like Edwards but has more clouds in it than normal.

Comment

have to agree. looks like edwards

Comment

[QUOTE]GarScale wrote:

Originally posted by Hoss post=116372
                  Well I though so too but The good folks at Texas state scanned the lithic signature and it is wildly different than Edwards. They had nothing in the data base even close. It patinates like Edwards  but has more clouds in it than normal.
                  Seems like you have done some research on the material, and for a pic without all information disclosed the coloration would lead me anyways to say Edwards.  I have seen chert beds that it depends on where the chert has been quarried as to how the make up of the chert is. I am no way an expert on chert types and have a basic working knowledge of the better known chert quarries. but I could not begin to break out the smaller factions of chert beds.

Comment

[QUOTE]chase wrote:

[quote=GarScale post=116378]

Posted by [GarScale]:

Well I though so too but The good folks at Texas state scanned the lithic signature and it is wildly different than Edwards. They had nothing in the data base even close. It patinates like Edwards but has more clouds in it than normal.
                  Seems like you have done some research on the material, and for a pic without all information disclosed the coloration would lead me anyways to say Edwards. I have seen chert beds that it depends on where the chert has been quarried as to how the make up of the chert is. I am no way an expert on chert types and have a basic working knowledge of the better known chert quarries. but I could not begin to break out the smaller factions of chert beds.
                  Agreed but its not from a small faction of a larger group according to TSU. Something unique. I was hoping someone had seen a lithic close to this from elsewhere. I should have qualified it with the opinion that it wasn't Edwards.

Comment

[QUOTE]GarScale wrote:

[quote=chase post=116381][quote=GarScale post=116378]
                      Well I though so too but The good folks at Texas state scanned the lithic signature and it is wildly different than Edwards. They had nothing in the data base even close. It patinates like Edwards  but has more clouds in it than normal.
                      Seems like you have done some research on the material, and for a pic without all information disclosed the coloration would lead me anyways to say Edwards.  I have seen chert beds that it depends on where the chert has been quarried as to how the make up of the chert is. I am no way an expert on chert types and have a basic working knowledge of the better known chert quarries. but I could not begin to break out the smaller factions of chert beds.
                      Agreed but its not from a small faction of a larger group according to TSU. Something unique. I was hoping someone had seen a lithic close to this from elsewhere. I should have qualified it with the opinion that it wasn't Edwards.
                      Wow Garscale! this is too cool. I always like a challenge. So TSU gave you no clue to where to start? The lihic itself seems of a high grade chert not to be in a data base. From The Mahaffy Cache there was lithics from a substantial distance from the location (IE.Tiger Chert very small deposit). I am not sure that helps, but it does give a starting point to expand outwards. I am no geologist and with my limited knowledge of chert types. I am not sure I will be much help. But if you have taken it down to a molecular level, I am not sure a pic will give you much hope in finding out the source. I can say my experience with chert deposits of north central Colorado, In an area of roughly a 100 mile radius you have several types of chert. even to a degree that of a twenty mile radius of three different distinct types. Without knowing Edwards chert and without knowing how vast the deposit is, and what other deposits may be close by I am not sure you will be able to narrow it down to the source. From what I can gather is that like a DNA sample this chert would need to run through several data base to find out the source.
                    here is a list of chert types of Texas, but I am sure the search from your location could be expanded to Louisiana, Oklahoma, and Arkansas.

Comment

Posted by [GarScale]:

Chase, they had no clue. Total head scratcher when they ran it in the data bases. We had a ball running lithics. We actually matched artifacts to exact quarry sources in some cases.

Comment

Not sure but the liter area of my point is similar to the color in yours.

Now back to speaking of trust I would be willing to send you this point so you can lay it side by side with your point and see if it looks close then they can study it at the College too. It came out of the Randy Walker Collection.
                        I have sent things to other members here to and they sent them back when they were done.
                        TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Posted by [GarScale]:

The material sure looks similar and looks like Edwards. I wouldn't send it as they have all the central tx point types in central tx material they can handle. Im about 250 miles from Edwards material so it made a great study to map the Edwards material here and should shed some insight on travel and trade routes.

Comment

That is a really nice Gary. 
                            Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

clovisoid wrote:

That is a really nice Gary.
                              Posted by [GarScale]:

Oh well.....I think its fake anyway. Ill throw it in my camping bag with an old file and use it to start fires.

Comment

Working...
                              X