not sure on material

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• not sure on material

found this scraper along a river in southern illinois. as i was walking through a woodsy part of the river this scraper was laying on the sand. it is 1 1/2 in long. i was wondering what material this could be cause i never really came across it before. the third picture is a close up of this blueish rivine thats on the scraper and a whiter color also. i labeled it on the scraper so you you should be able to see it. thanks for any information.

Click image for larger version

Name:	scraper1 [replaced].jpg
Views:	52
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	217602

Click image for larger version

Name:	scraper2 [replaced].jpg
Views:	53
Size:	132.1 KB
ID:	217603

sorry i guess my labeling on the scraper didnt show up at all.on the third picture if you look towards the tip of the scraper you will see a whiteish and a darker blueish line going through it and on the bottom you will see 2 darker blue lines on the bottom also.

Comment

Jake, I am not sure what your asking for? The Lithic in general? or that there are veins of different colors?
      Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

the lithic in general. i just showed the veins up close so you guys could get a better idea of the material

Comment

Sorry Jake, can't help you. Pretty stuff but I have no idea what it is.
          Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

thats ok ray i understand and thanks. ill try and do a little more research on it but figured since you were from the illinois area also you might have an idea.

Comment

Hey Jake, Whatever it is I like it. That blue is cool.
              Michigan Yooper
              If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

thanks ron. hopefully ill find a point made out of it one day haha

Comment

Could be Haney chert out of Kentucky, Jake. At least looking through Deregnaucourt's book of chert types of the midwest. The chert maybe coming from west of you though.
                  Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Hi jaker, my guess is that it is a Chert-like sedimentary rock that should have good conchoidal fracture properties.
                    Have you found any points made out of it?
                    I have seen similar material here in the Southeast.

Comment

thanks greg ill check into it. bill i havent found any points yet out of this material. hopefully i will someday haha. this is the first time i have ever came across this type of material and when i cleaned the dirt off of it thats when i noticed the blueish veins in it and was curious what this could be made out of. thanks for the info guys!

Comment

I'm no expert but I took my points from Central Illinois to an artifact show and they told me that most of my material that looks similar to yours was either Indiana hardstone or Burlington Chert.  I know Burlington Chert is usually white, however, some of it can be grey/blue, as well.  Im still learning a lot about material types.

Comment

I have a few points made from a very similar material just a tad lighter. Very nice material

Comment

My first posting not sure how to add photo but will try

Comment

Working...
                            X