LOOK at this material

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LOOK at this material

This end scraper has the typical steep bevel on the working end.
    It also has the typical fractures on the working end.
    That lithic material is anything but typical: Does anyone know the lithic?

Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Where's it from Ron? It looks like crinoidal chert. I don't know how widely it occurs (not very, would be my guess), but the nearest source to you that I know of is in Eastern Illinois (Vermillion County).
    I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

I have heard it called fossiliferous chert.

Comment

painshill wrote:

Where's it from Ron? It looks like crinoidal chert. I don't know how widely it occurs (not very, would be my guess), but the nearest source to you that I know of is in Eastern Illinois (Vermillion County).
          The sale was from Arkansas but the provenance was lost sad to say. Thanks for the info Roger.
        Michigan Yooper

Comment

[QUOTE]Ron Kelley wrote:

Originally posted by painshill post=117884
          The sale was from Arkansas but the providence was lost sad to say. Thanks for the info Roger.

I wrongly assumed you had found it.
          The St. Joe limestone of the Ozark Plateaus in Northern Arkansas is crinoidal and contains fossiliferous chert nodules.
          I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Add some SiO2, along with heat and pressure and maybe another million years. This would be that.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	image_2014-03-20 [replaced].jpg
Views:	65
Size:	213.5 KB
ID:	217601
            TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

[QUOTE]painshill wrote:

[quote=Ron Kelley post=117886]
              Originally posted by painshill post=117884
              The sale was from Arkansas but the providence was lost sad to say. Thanks for the info Roger.

I wrongly assumed you had found it.
              The St. Joe limestone of the Ozark Plateaus in Northern Arkansas is crinoidal and contains fossiliferous chert nodules.

Yep that's right in my neck of the woods. Really though, I find it more on the Missouri state line. I always liked it.

Comment

Here's a couple of microscope shots.

Michigan Yooper

Comment

Hoss wrote:

Add some SiO2, along with heat and  pressure and maybe another million years. This would be that.
                    Thanks Matt, It's easier to see what the Crinoids looked like in your fossil sample.
                  Michigan Yooper

Comment

Very cool lithic Ron.
                    Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

Thanks for the learning experience guys, I have picked up a lot of lithic material in Ohio for the past 40 years, but this is a first and awesome!! Nice and unique stuff_Bill

Comment

I looked through my Arkansas end scrapers and found two more pieces of Crinoidal Chert.

Michigan Yooper

Comment

Working...
                        X