the munsungan lake formation lithics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the munsungan lake formation lithics

These are a few examples by no means all of the verieties but a fair cross section of the more common cherts found in the munsungan lake area of northeast piscatiquis county maine hope you guys in the northeast can gain some info and maybe i.d. a few artifacts as mun chert

Looks like a good topic to Me, Thanks!
    http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

wildo420 wrote:

These are a few examples by no means all of the verieties but a fair cross section of the more common cherts found in the munsungan lake area of northeast piscatiquis county maine hope you guys in the northeast can gain some info and maybe i.d. a few artifacts as mun chert
        Question? Are these samples of chert from the same source? or are they samples of chert found in the Munsungan lake region?
      If they are from different sources I would be more interested in what each chert name would be.
      For example I have sites that have Kremmling chert, Trout creek chert, Windy ridge Quartzite, obsidian, Tiger chert to name a few. For those that find those chert types outside your area, would be more interested in the source chert type.
      Very cool lithic's!
      Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

Well chase as a rule the grey and black varietys come from the norway bluff and munsungan ridge source areass most of the reddish types come from willard ridge round mountain and willard brook areas im not too sure on that snowflake one found that in cobble form on little munsungan lakre but id guess its found somewhere near norway blufff as well the formation is 5 killomiters wide and 30 killomiters wide so there is room for variance and these colors pop up periodicly along the way as sseein the first pic colors also merge in certian areas like willard ridge to forn some the most beautiful varietys that one has been referred to as christmas tree chert for the mix of red and green it not chert in the sense of other types around the country it is classed ordovician chert basicly silicafied mud stone that has been morphed by vocanic activity and extreme prreasure some types there completely volcanic and are classed as dacitc lava flow like the first pic note the very glassy nature by comparison to the others i will be going back in search of a quarry site in late may to post pics of the qurries themselves as there are no pics to be found of them the extent of quarrieing in the area is unbelievable continuos use of the quarries for nearly 12000 yrs thats impressive these stone types are among the most used paleo lithics in new england and canada i would love to know if annyone has artifacts made of this material thanks foljs and hope this answers your question a bit chase

Comment

Thanks for showing those examples! I'm going to have to check some of my stuff......that black material and the red material sure could be something I've seen before down here on the Connecticut shoreline. Do you have any idea how far south those lithics may have travelled? Very interesting!
          Southern Connecticut

Comment

I think they made it all the way to pennsylvania not 100% on that tho i believe hoss has a clovis made of the dull red variety

Comment

This is a piece of red Normaskill flint. It is rare but it does come in red. Source Eatern NY State

This one is my red Munsungan Clovis. I showed this to Gramley and he said yes it is Munsungan and the base attributes look  like points that came from the Morse (sp) site which is North of the Vail site.
              PKfrey told me he had seen Red Munsungan in PA. not sure if in his own collection or in others.Maybe he will see this post and confirm.
              TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Thanks hoss thats a beautiful clovis also i have a chunk of red mun chert wich has thaat same orange colored mottling in it thats pretty neat i didnt know normanskill came in red also in a few weeks im going to munsungan i will be in search of one of the many quarry sites i plan to photogragh the site and post them thete are no pics of the actual quarry sites anywhere online who knows maybe ill find me a clovis while im there too tell me more abot this site you mentioned thats north of vail ive not read about it. Thanks again hoss love that point and good info too.

Comment

Working...
                X