Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indiana Hornstone-Attica Chert

Posted by [Hi-Lo]:

Is Indiana Hornstone also known as Attica chert? I do know that Attica chert is also referred to as 'Indiana Green'.

Gregszybala answered a similar question a while back for me, here is what he said. Harrison County chert also known as Indiana hornstone, Wyandotte and Kentucky blue. Traded as far west as Kansas City MO. East to Delmarva area of Chesapeake Bay Area. North to Ontario,  south to Alabama and Georgia.  Hope this helps.

Comment

Yep! Hornstone is a different material. Attica (Indiana Green) is a greenish chert ranging from really grainy to not so much found only near Attica, Indiana on the Wabash River. Hornstone is typically found at various sites in southern Indiana and is a grey to blueish material.
      Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

Not the best picture but one of my favorite Bifurcate points here. Parke Co Indiana  Attica Chert
        TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

I am a transplant hoosier, but Attica would be Indiana Green, Hornstone is further south Harrison chert, it would be what Turkeytails is famous for. But I am new to all this.
          Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

Indiana Green....

Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

Here is a piece of hornstone.

Comment

Posted by [Hi-Lo]:

Thanks gents. That is very helpful, and yes I can see the differences between the two. The posted lithics are amazing.

Comment

Posted by [Hi-Lo]:

I'm probably wrong but I see some Hornstone aspects in the following two lithics. Any thoughts on whether they might be Hornstone, or do you see a different variety of chert/flint? And, how would you classify the two pieces. They were in a Mason jar stuffed with other lithcs that the vendor must have thought were seconds; $16.00. A scraper from the jar has central Kansas written on it in pencil; otherwise no info. The store is in London, Ontario.

Comment

Working...
                  X