Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thebes

Posted by [Hi-Lo]:

Stopped in at a favourite antique store in the London, Ontario area today. Fortunately, I found this before anyone else did. Deleware County, Indiana via southern Ontario. My questions to the experts are: 1) what type of flint/chert do you think it is made from?, and, 2) do you think it was heat treated? It is my first Thebes, early Archaic 10,000 - 8,000 B.P.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	image_2014-06-11 [replaced].jpg
Views:	79
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	199797

Name:	image_2014-06-11-2 [replaced].jpg
Views:	110
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	199798

Name:	image_2014-06-11-3 [replaced].jpg
Views:	79
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	199799

Hi-Lo, I was wondering what happened to that point I lost, I am glad you found it. :rolf:  :rolf:
    That was found in the next county over from where I am at. The material does look like Liston Creek Chert. Which is just north of me.
    I am on the fence with the material and it being heat treated. If they did heat treat the lithic, they treated a lot of it. IMO dont think it was heat teated.
    Nice store find!
    Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

Posted by [Hi-Lo]:

Thanks Chase. I will do some research on Liston Creek chert. That is very helpful.
      I find it amazing that my Thebes is a dead ringer for one of the diagram examples in Justice's 'Stone Age Spear and Arrow Points of the Midcontinental and Eastern United States', see page 55, Figure 12, example B. Justice informs that southern Ontario is within the distribution area of Thebes points.

Comment

Working...
      X