No announcement yet.

Flint Ballast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

actually they all come from the same block of ballast but theres different colors in different sections.some of its brown,some gray,some tannish.but when the chunk is thick it all looks black till ya bust it up.in fact after you bust it up none of it looks black at all.
    call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

all the english flint i have workes was purchased at a local rock shop
      so i have to take his word for what it is,but it was always black in color
      becomes a little translucent when thinned down bit still black in color
      the french flint that i have had the pleasure to work came directly from france
      i guy had brought it to a knapp in and asked if i could make a point from it for him,so i did
      it was brown in color even before being reduced down
      i have two more pieces of it that he gave me,bith brown in color
      i find the french flint a lot easier to work than the english flint,even with out being heat treated
      kind of a funny story about that french flint
      this guy had been over there for his job,he was in fields doing some work for some potato company
      he had found several pices of this rock and brought it back home to the states
      he came to a knapp in and asked me if i could make him a point from it
      when he handed me the first piece i looked it over and told him could make a point from it but i wouldnt
      he asked why not
      then i told him because that particular piece was an artifact,infact it was a scraper
      he didnt even realize what he had
      then he showed me another piece and i told him i would make him a point from that one
      after i finished the point and gave it to him,he offerd to give me the scraper as payment
      i told him that i didnt want it
      he asked why not,i told him it was his,he found it and that he should keep it
      i also told him it was enough payment just to work such a nice piece of rock
      thats why he gave me the other two pieces of flint he had

Comment

Yes... those may be your observations on what is being provided to you, but as you may have noticed I actually live in England, at the western end of one of the longest runs of flint-bearing chalk in the country (around 260 square miles of it), as well as being a frequent visitor to all parts of the UK and France for collecting purposes. Trust me... both countries have every colour and quality of flint you can imagine in great abundance.
        I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

that would be awesome to have that much flint just laying around! im jealous! i guess england has its perks! :laugh: 
          call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

Working...
          X