Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are your favorite lithic materials?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Liston creek chert.

Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

Indiana Green chert

Comment

Harrison County chert

Comment

Trout creek chert many colors

Comment

Tabletop chert on the right and Kremmling chert to the left.

Comment

Where is there a good source to look for lithics in your own state?  I'm having trouble finding  a reference for lithics found in SD.  I would really like to know my materials
              better.      Thanks for any help.      Gary
              South Dakota

Comment

Here is a good start Gary,
                The SD Geological Survey performs scientific investigations that are designed to generate information on South Dakota’s geologic and hydrologic resources.

looks like there are resources available on the net but you have to do some digging to get to what you want.
                Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Oh go on then...I'll take them all.... my address is.....:laugh:
                  What an absolutely incredible array of beautiful artefacts.  It is an art form that is for sure.  Thank you everyone for showing them; totally impressed.....and very very envious

Comment

• Notarelichunter
                    Notarelichunter commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Sunny, I’m with you on that. This is my 2nd pass on viewing this post. 😁

orari wrote:

My favorite is probably the blue portion of BGT (Blue-Gray-Tan) Fort Payne Chert.  The artifacts made from it look like North Carolina Tarheels light blue, struck flakes are sharp as a razor blade, and it makes a glass-like, hollow, ringing sound.  Early Archaic folks at some sites in Middle Tennessee appear to have been very fond of it.
                    Hey Orari, This chert is from Alabama Colbert County. I think this is Fort Payne Chert. Is it sometimes found with just the blue color?

Michigan Yooper
                  If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

• KyChipStone
                    KyChipStone commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Love it!....Hope to land a point from this someday.....

Ron, I'd say that's spot on Blue FP.Interested to see if it's a match to what orari referred to. I've got some smaller debitage flakes from TN and Central Ky, that are this same material, it really pops when lying on the wet ground. I also have examples of the tan,grey , black, grey, And patinated Brown fort Payne I will try to get some photos up soon.
                  Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Flattop Chert. These tools are all personal finds of my better half.

Always keep your head down and never give up!

Comment

[QUOTE]Ron Kelley wrote:

Originally posted by orari post=140239
                      My favorite is probably the blue portion of BGT (Blue-Gray-Tan) Fort Payne Chert.  The artifacts made from it look like North Carolina Tarheels light blue, struck flakes are sharp as a razor blade, and it makes a glass-like, hollow, ringing sound.  Early Archaic folks at some sites in Middle Tennessee appear to have been very fond of it.
                        Hey Orari, This chert is from Alabama Colbert County. I think this is Fort Payne Chert. Is it sometimes found with just the blue color?

Hi Ron.  Yes.  I think it probably does occur by itself, or maybe the Indians sometimes used just the blue portion of a tabular piece or nodule.  Truthfully, I am not totally sure about all the different ways it expresses itself in the wild, but I do know that the Blue-Gray-Tan mixed color Fort Payne is common down in the Tullahoma-Manchester, Tennessee, area (Eastern Highland Rim).  I find artifacts and flakes of the Tarheels blue variety in Sumner County, Tennessee, which is in the Eastern Highland Rim farther north near the Kentucky-Tennessee state line.  The blue I see is the same color as your example artifact but without the gray mottling.  It is more of a smooth, uniform blue.

Comment

Exhausted lost lake, Tan- grey- white Fort Payne,  Montgomery co. Ky

Tan- grey- white Fort Payne

Grayish- black Fort Payne

Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Knox Chert from Ky and Tn .

Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Just quartz, but when it looks like this, it does stand out from a lot of other quartz....

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_2014-11-30-5r [replaced].jpg
Views:	258
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	219332

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_2014-11-30-6r [replaced].jpg
Views:	227
Size:	17.5 KB
ID:	219333
                            Rhode Island

Comment