Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are your favorite lithic materials?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

old dog wrote:

Flattop Chert. These tools are all personal finds of my better half.
      Those are nice tools.
    Flattop Chalcedony (chert) is one of my favorites and was a favorite High Plains
    lithic source of the Paleo hunters as well as the later cultures.
    I wish I could find more of it.   

Comment

Out west our lithics typically don't have names other than the generic chert, jasper, agate, chalcedony, quartzite, petrified wood, obsidian, basalt, rhyolite, dacite, etc. I like unique lithics the most. Most of the ones I'm posting are unique (to me). The first point is made from rhyolite which is pretty common. But the stripes running through it set it apart. The next point is made from green jasper (I think) it's my favorite point lithic-wise. The next one is a paleo point made from a material I've never seen before. It's similar to Tiger Chert but it's probably something different. Next up is a knife made from blue agate. Next up is a point made from a pink material with some green mixed in near the tip. Next is a point made from solid green jasper. And the last one is a point made from a yellow fossiiferous chert.

Comment

• tomclark
        tomclark commented
        Editing a comment
        Gawd!!

• Tam
        Tam commented
        Editing a comment
        Had to come back and look at this . Just amazing

• willjo
        willjo commented
        Editing a comment
        That pink point has some amazing flaking scars on it, nice point, nice material

I will never get tired of seeing those!!!!
      Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

I really like rootbeer !

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_2014-12-12c [replaced].jpg
Views:	676
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	219339

Name:	image_2014-12-12-2c [replaced].jpg
Views:	684
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	219334

Name:	image_2014-12-12-3c [replaced].jpg
Views:	737
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	219335

Name:	image_2014-12-12-4c [replaced].jpg
Views:	301
Size:	150.1 KB
ID:	219336

Name:	image_2014-12-12-5c [replaced].jpg
Views:	700
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	219337

Name:	image_2014-12-12-6c [replaced].jpg
Views:	721
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	219338

Comment

I have to say that Catlenite (Pipestone) is a favorite lithic. This lithic was prised by the ancients because it was easily worked by grinding and drilling. This stone was so prized that it traveled long distances from the sourse in Minnesota.

Michigan Yooper
          If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

• Kentucky point
            Kentucky point commented
            Editing a comment
            You know what Ron, just across the river is a boatload of that stuff. I need to go looking for some.

Just moved this into the Best of the Best Threads. I think with a little work we should work on getting this into the Info Center.
          Wow! Thank you all for all the Lithic's, Great thread Kyflintguy
          Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

Bump for the new folks!
            Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

I have no idea what the lithic is, it was found in Central Mass. and I've never seen this material on any other local site.

Comment

Awesome pictures....   :cheer:

Comment

"unknown chert from central New York" looks like Munsungen (from northern Maine but found sometimes as far south as Pennsylvania).

Favorite of all is the Trout Creek chert cornernotch

Comment

I was deciding what my favorite material.is and I picked a couple. That was before I viewed the pictures you guys posted......now I have 20 or more new favorites.......Thanks for the pics. everyone!!!!

Comment

Okay, Ron, you've made your points!!! 😍😍
                      Child of the tides

Comment

Let's see them folks, many new members here, let us see what materials you hope to see sticking out of the ground!
                        Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

I found this chunk of material last summer on a job site. With some research i figured out its from the Knox Chert dolomite. Its very unusual and I don't believe ive seen an artifact made from it, although it knapps fairly well. I managed to knock off a couple of flakes to work but never really was able to do anything great with them... Click image for larger version  Name:	20161118_113601.jpg Views:	1 Size:	97.7 KB ID:	251724

Name:	20161118_113546.jpg
Views:	499
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	251725
                          Last edited by Kyflintguy; 06-04-2017, 10:22 AM.
                          Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Beautiful material. Does it fracture easily and uncontrollably? Looks like it.
                            Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

• Kyflintguy
                              Kyflintguy commented
                              Editing a comment
                              I didn't really have the right tool with we when I cracked the rock open to have a look Greg. Just a chunk of sandstone. This portion was actually fairly predictable but I figure this stone is probably degraded somewhat because it was a little brittle if that makes sense. There was many other nodules of Knox Chert Dolomite, mostly dark Grey, but it was all so fractured and brittle that one strike rendered a cobble into a pile of chunks. Most people just think of Knox as the typical shiny black Chert but it ranges from light greys with white all the way through Black and can be banded, the cortex is usually tan, brown and with the best stuff almost white...
                          Working...
                          X