Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are your favorite lithic materials?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't even know where to start . Hats off to
    flint. These are the most amazing photos .Hoss
    you need to go public with this thread and let the world see these . You could make a hard cover
    book and it would sell like crazy ... just saying
    I personally don't know any collector that would not want this for a coffee table / reference book . This would give any off the books out there a run for the money . Wow .... wow
    I know what I am doing over coffee tomorrow . Thanks to all the real pieces each of you collected .

Comment

• Kyflintguy
      Kyflintguy commented
      Editing a comment
      Well what's your favorite lithic? Get a good pic and share!

Josh, flintguy ... I cannot even come close to
    any of these lithic materials on this thread which is my favorite by the way good job !!!But in Southwest Georgia I love the red chert ... it just catches my eye and I pick up every little flake
    or a point if I get lucky .. the blood reds with some yellow .

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	154.0 KB
ID:	255550
    Last edited by painshill; 04-15-2020, 09:04 AM.

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
      SurfaceHunter commented
      Editing a comment
      I like the red to but don’t find much of it

That's some interesting chert Tam, maybe someone can help us with what type of Chert this is. Thanks for sharing!

Plenty of New members here now, lets see some more interesting lithic materials!
    Click image for larger version  Name:	image_29320 (1)-1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	96.3 KB ID:	255560
    Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Kelley View Post
      Nephrite Jade from Washington State is one of my favorite lithics.
      Are those beads, Ron??
      Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

• Ron Kelley
        Ron Kelley commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey Jason, I just got back from my road trip. Yes they are very nice ancient beads. They are biconically drilled with the drill holes meeting in the center. I have 40.

Flint Ridge Chalcedony and Carter Cave are way up on my list.

Name:	
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	255596 Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	255597 Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	255598
      Last edited by painshill; 04-15-2020, 10:05 AM.
      Headwaters of the Little Miami, Ohio

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
        SurfaceHunter commented
        Editing a comment
        Is that yellow the true color? No yellow here that I have found other than quartz

• fldwlkr
        fldwlkr commented
        Editing a comment
        The "yellow" image is a light behind the point showing the lithic's translucence. The first image shows the same point without back lighting. Nothing that yellow in my collection either. Sorry if I caused any confusion.

• SurfaceHunter
        SurfaceHunter commented
        Editing a comment
        That’s okay I was hoping it was yellow

I have larger tools of Colorado petrified wood that's at the top of my list.

Name:	
Size:	190.7 KB
ID:	256790 Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	208.8 KB
ID:	256791 Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	229.9 KB
ID:	256792 Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	261.5 KB
ID:	256793 Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	234.0 KB
ID:	256794
      Last edited by painshill; 04-15-2020, 10:15 AM.

Comment

• Hoss
        Hoss commented
        Editing a comment
        These are not tools they are just large chunks of petrified wood. Pretty material but to call them tools is false in my opinion. By the way this stuff is poor material for knapping mast of it tends to cube out when you try reducing it.

• saguache
        saguache commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey Hoss, not so fast on your judgment. If you had them in hand you'd see them for what they are...tools. Rocks shaped by human hands that are designed for use at a task at hand. I've been looking at stone here for 50 years & would agree that pet wood isn't the best for the material of choice but theses were found in a cache situation and are a group of beautiful/unique pieces/...tools. Just shows what an moron you are.
        Last edited by saguache; 08-04-2017, 07:58 AM.

• Hoss
        Hoss commented
        Editing a comment
        Well since you self destructed and are banned now you will no longer be able to tell your side of this ridiculous story. Shame on you for taking the road less traveled. We encourage everyone to post their finds here. However when a rock is a rock we will let you know. Pet wood will be found in piles that is where the tree died. No one stashed it there. A tree died millions of years ago and the became pertified over time it fell to pieces in place. That does not make it a cache of tools it is a pile of pretty rocks. That is all!

I don't want to go to a book for this . This southeast area is new to me . How do all you people know what are all the different cherts . Caters cave etc .
      It just rolls off your tounge . Wow .
      so is that even chert I posted . In Georgia they say the reds with iron can be Jasper ???
      I saw cliffs of chert online and in Georgia .
      what causes all the different names ?
      Differnt minerals?

Comment

Yes thank you Josh , perfect going to the site now . Your right though I do have to research . I grew up in Cal and can name every animal rock flower . Now Hawaii got that , now a new chapter is opening and man it is so foreign with the lithic .
      btw good call on the coral . I'll get a pick some day of a layer site over lava . Crazy looking

Comment

My favorite NC Piedmont lithics are crystal quartz and flow banded rhyolite. The two chips are green meta siltstone maybe one day I'll find a point made of it? Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2916.JPG
Views:	318
Size:	176.7 KB
ID:	257450 The other brown chip is my favorite lithic from outside my area Knife River Flint.
        N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

• My favorite NC Mountain lithics are Black Knox chert and Gray Knox chert? These are imported from Tennessee. My favorite local lithic is the red quartzite. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2924.JPG
Views:	386
Size:	160.4 KB
ID:	257455
          N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

• My bad I think without going back over the years I have seen lots of material what I find there is many but it is what is close that works the best I have one I seek it is clear quarts I have chips but I envy Dennis
            Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

• My favorite cherts for knapping points and blades.
              1. Hornstone from Kentucky and Indiana
              2. Georgetown Blue Flint from Texas
              3. Tiger Chert from Wyoming
              4. Knife River Flint from North Dakota
              5. Horse Creek Chert from Tennessee
              Click image for larger version  Name:	1 hornstone.jpg Views:	1 Size:	582.5 KB ID:	257791
              Click image for larger version  Name:	2 Georgetown Blue Flint.jpg Views:	1 Size:	383.0 KB ID:	257792
              Click image for larger version  Name:	3 Tiger Chert.jpg Views:	1 Size:	790.7 KB ID:	257793
              Click image for larger version  Name:	4 Knife River Flint.jpg Views:	1 Size:	547.2 KB ID:	257789
              Click image for larger version  Name:	5 Horse Creek Chert.jpg Views:	1 Size:	51.8 KB ID:	257790
              Last edited by Ron Kelley; 07-29-2017, 08:45 AM.
              Michigan Yooper
              If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

• Ron Kelley
                Ron Kelley commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks Josh, This five require no heat and all are tough stone.

• SurfaceHunter
                SurfaceHunter commented
                Editing a comment
                I didn’t know horse creek chert was in Tennessee. North or south section? I’m not far from there. I’d pick that any day, beautiful stuff

• Josie
                Josie commented
                Editing a comment
                the Horse Creek Chert is unbelievable!

• Bump! Great thread guys! Hey, I am heading up to Pennsylvania in a week or two. Do any of you know what lithics I could find in Central Pa? Say, Schuylkill county?
              "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

• This thread needed a bump. One of the very best threads. We know and love our local material and this is a good resource thread. My finger would fall off from all the Likes I'd have to give all 7 pages of this thread. Consider all Liked, boom.
                Professor Shellman
                Tampa Bay

Comment

• Some pretty material in this maybe tomorrow I will add some of my finds
                  NW Georgia,

Comment

Working...
                  X