Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What can you tell me about this material...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What can you tell me about this material...?

What can you tell me about this material...?

ENLARGE

Not sure, but it may be stream patinated jefferson city chert.
    http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

JoshinMO wrote:

Not sure, but it may be stream patinated jefferson city chert.
        I did additional research, after posting this piece... You were definitely headed in the right direction, JoshinMO... in fact, your suggestion aided my research... In any event, I now believe this is Cotter dolomite "euchalayta"...
      __

(credit: Matt Rowe aka Neanderthal)
      __

Comment

Glad you figured it out, nice point.
        http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

JoshinMO wrote:

Glad you figured it out, nice point.
            Thank you.  Believe it or not, I stuck my arm elbow deep in debitage-bearing mud, and blindly retrieved this point. Some days it's better to be lucky than good. 

Comment

That is a very nice point and beautiful material! Lithics can be very tough and lots of times can never be figured out. By the way, nice avatar! I had the opportunity to meet Greg one time. He was one of the great ones!
            Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

Nice lithic and point. Thanks for sharing!
              Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

rmartin wrote:

That is a very nice point and beautiful material! Lithics can be very tough and lots of times can never be figured out. By the way, nice avatar! I had the opportunity to meet Greg one time. He was one of the great ones!
                  Imagine this... I grew up in Idabel, Oklahoma (Perino lived there)... I moved away in the 9th grade... became interested in this field years later... but never met the guy... true story...

Comment

[QUOTE]Oklahomuh wrote:

Originally posted by rmartin post=134063
                    Imagine this... I grew up in Idabel, Oklahoma (Perino lived there)... I moved away in the 9th grade... became interested in this field years later... but never met the guy... true story...
                    As I said I had the good fortune to meet him one time at his home in Idabel and got volume two of his three volume set of books signed at the time. Just so you know, he was an Illinois Boy and grew up hunting around Cahokia.
                  Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

[QUOTE]rmartin wrote:

[quote=Oklahomuh post=134078]
                    Originally posted by rmartin post=134063
                      As I said I had the good fortune to meet him one time at his home in Idabel and got volume two of his three volume set of books signed at the time. Just so you know, he was an Illinois Boy and grew up hunting around Cahokia.
                      Wow, what a privilege for you, for sure...!
                    As a small child, I once went on a school field-trip to The Museum of the Red River (which he was greatly involved with, as you probably know)... I remember gawking at the artifacts/exhibits, naively thinking they were all Choctaw (as Idabel is in Choctaw Nation)... I had a lot to learn... and no clue I was gawking at the work of such a talented man...

Comment

Working...
                    X