Tiger Chert - artififacts and rough, newbie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tiger Chert - artififacts and rough, newbie

I have a very newbie question. I apologize in advance for my lack of knowledge, I am basically a lapidary and mineral guy. I went to an estate sale recently and saw dozens of tiger chert artifacts (mainly scrappers and other tools, not arrowheads) and wyoming tiger chert rough that knappers could use. I made of note to research the material but did not get any. The material had very distinct bands of black and brown. So far what I have found is that Wyoming tiger chert is fairly uncommon and that these artifacts are fairly popular. Is my understanding about the rarity of tiger chert correct? Would knappers be interested in this material? I saw 50+ pounds of rough if not more. Given the other items offered at the estate sale I imagine the artifacts where collected in far north-east CO or in fart SW Wyoming.
    Thanks.
    David

ive never knapped tiger chert
    but as a knapper i can tell you this
    all lithic material has high grades and low grades and everything in between
    the higher the grade the better it knapps
    i would have to see pics of it before i would say whether or not i would any to knapp
    dont know if its rare or not

Comment

Can you tell me what to look for to distinguish between high grade and low grade knapping material?.  I am familiar with judging mineral specimens and some lapidary material but knapping is new to me.  Sorry I don't have any photos.   I may have a chance to buy some of the material latter in the month.  Considering I grew up in the Flint Hills region of Kansas my lack of knowledge on this topic is kind of funny.
      Thanks for your help.

Comment

Here is a little information on Tiger Chert, from our Information center.
        Oh and welcome to AH.com :welcome:
        Tiger Chert Tiger Chert, is one of my favorite lithics, a northwest Colorado / southwest Wyoming material. www.lithicsourcing.com/index_files/Tiger.htm...

Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

well in general a piece of chert or flint will produce a very nice and clean concoidial fracture when struck properly
          it will also be very slick and smooth and glassy looking on the surface that was fractured and a flake has been removed from
          also it wont need heat treating to knapp well
            a concodial fracture,hmmmm let me think of how to describe it best
            when a rock or bb hits the windshield of you car or a glass window on your house
          it leaves a very clean cone shaped fracture
          in flint knapping thats what we try to produce when we take a flake from the mother rock
          except we only want to remove a half cone
          hope that helps
          if you decide to buy some,post some pics
          if its good looking material and your willing to sell some
          if the price is right i may be interested in buying some

Comment

chase, i looked at the pics in the link you posted
            the last pic almost looks like Polish flint,very closely resembles it

Comment

Thanks for the tips on grading the material.  Hopefully I will be able to pick some up later in October.

Comment

Working...
              X