Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a point in that would be bad ass!!

Comment

Right piece is crude Bayport chert scapper. That is the main lithic here.

Comment

could they make a point against the grain or would it flake with the grain?

Comment

Bayport chert. Not the purdyest stuff but its what we got!

Comment

Mark just curious...what would acetone do to them?

Comment

that second pic looks like it has some sort of geode in it!

Comment

The second one (robbins adena) had a quartz pocket in it.

Comment

Thats got me stumped Mark, never seen material like it, have seen some striped stuff that after you strike it the stripes aren't as pronounced. Flintridge material used by a few of my knapper friends will look totally striped like your piece but once they start breaking flakes off the pattern is not there.-Bill

Comment

They took some off against the grain, would LOVE to find a point made of it!

Comment

I have two friends who knap, they only make pieces for themselves and some close friends upon request. Both are deathly against faking artifacts, why they don't make stuff for strangers. The one has been offered boocoo bucks to start production for people and refuses everytime, because he knows what they are up to. He has had some trying times financially and still refuses, I respect him for that.
                        The other can carry a conversation and knap a perfect point with little concentration, it is near sickening their natural talent. But my friendship with them has been a great education in my collecting over the years. Once had a guy who wanted to sell a dovetail, looked good to me and the price was mid range. Told me it was found in Stark Co. (My home county) so I called him over to take a closer look, under the mic it did not look bad, Steve (My friend) was there, without looking at it under the mic, told the guy point blank it wasn't real. The flaking was incorrect which I could not notice, but his knapping experience and study saved my ass from spending money on a fake. Not all knappers are bad I guess is what my point is. Bill

Comment

Some sign their work, others add false patina! Those two sound like honest ones.

Comment

Working...
                        X