Recognize this Lithic??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recognize this Lithic??

I'll hold off saying where this was found. I'm interested in knowing if anyone recognizes this material from their own region, pieces from their collection, or because they are simply familiar with it. I am not in that position myself. So just wondering if it's a well known material to collectors.....

Rhode Island

I looked at RI lithics by region...assuming it's from where you are?  Jasper maybe?

Comment

Not in my neck of the woods.
      Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Thanks. Yeah, found here in RI. But, was it? I've never seen the material. Yes, jasper has translucent chalcedony in it, and that's what the translucent areas resemble. What I was really wondering is if someone came back with "oh, that's a variety of Flintridge for sure", in which case I would tend to dismiss a provenance of Rhode Island. I did not find it, and it reminds me of a Dovetail. I have only seen one Dovetail found in RI. Not impossible, but, again, if someone easily recognized the material as something far from my region, I would likely conclude the provenance was mistaken.
        Rhode Island

Comment

It does resemble a dove tail I agree with you on that. RI does not have many lithics from what I saw and that was the ONLY choice I could have guessed based on what they showed for that area. That piece could very well be from Ohio/Indiana???

Comment

doesnt look familiar to me
            flintridge comes in many varieties,and i have worked several of them
            but i have never seen that lithic before
            doesnt mean it couldnt be FR,just havent seen it

Comment

I think your in the right Ballpark Charlie with Ohio, the style of the Dove puts me in mind of Ohio, could be a Upper Mercer or similar Which I believe is associated with the Brassfield limestone outcrop in south western Ohio, I did a little searching up and found some things but am unable to load any links....
              Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Amazing stuff Charlie are you sure that is not braintree hornfels? I understand braintree was also found in a slate material. Perhaps I read it worng b perhaps it was the slate that metamorphed to the flinty looking hornfells found up are Boston
                TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Thanks, Josh. Been checking images, but couldn't find Upper Mercer with chalcedony veins so far. I do have some Upper Mercer/Coshocton, and the texture or grain appears quite different, FWIW....
                  It's actually a material that does not scream "no way southern New England", far from it, but I haven't seen it, and I didn't find it, so figured I'd throw it out there in the off chance it was a well known lithic from another region.
                  Rhode Island

Comment

Hoss wrote:

Amazing stuff Charlie are you sure that is nit braintree hornfels? I understand braintree was also found in a slate material. Perhaps I read it worng b perhaps it was the slate that metamorphed to the flinty looking hornfells found up are Boston
                      Thanks, Hoss. Yes, Braintree hornfels and Braintree slate are found together. I do have some of the slate. It contains Paradoxides trilobite species from the Cambrian Period. I don't believe it's Braintree slate based on comparison. And it does not resemble any hornfels I've seen from Braintree or the hornfels we have found at RI sites.
                    I have no real problem believing it was found in West Greenwich, RI, as the shopkeeper told me years ago. But, given the style and un identified material, I'm also open to doubts on that score. Many years ago, I had a chance to own a killer Dovetail found in the Great Swamp. But I passed because I thought "a Dovetail from RI? Nah...". Turns out, as I found out later, it sure was found in the Great Swamp after all.....
                    Rhode Island

Comment

CMD wrote:

Thanks, Josh. Been checking images, but couldn't find Upper Mercer with chalcedony veins so far. I do have some Upper Mercer/Coshocton, and the texture or grain appears quite different, FWIW....
                      It's actually a material that does not scream "no way southern New England", far from it, but I haven't seen it, and I didn't find it, so figured I'd throw it out there in the off chance it was a well known lithic from another region.
                      Yeah I had the same results as far as finding similar images with those same characteristics,  my mind went that way because I used to have a Mercer Chert Thebes that had some opaque Brown veins in it, Davis called it Mercer that is...
                        Very unusual lithic though, hope a light bulb pops on for someone who can help, maybe our new geologist friend Will have some input...
                      Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

I can't find reference photos of that material, but it looks like material I have seen before. The small whitish inclusions and granular texture reminds me a porphyry type felsite, with various sources throughout  the New England states. I'm going to keep searching until I find pictures of that material.
                        http://www.ravensrelics.com/

Comment

I think you have a chalcedony piece there that has a lot of cortex.

Comment

Years ago I had a point I got from Cordeiro It looked a lot like that material to me.  I think Moody owns it now.  I do not even have a picture of it. It was a crude lanceolate shaped point quite possibly a late paleo form.
                            Is the base on your point Heavily ground? Doves are noted to have heavily ground stem bases.
                            TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Ron just pointed out a post I had not seen in a while Charlie in there you have this point listed as one of your favorite lithics,   

Part of the bigger blade looks very similar to me

Comment

Working...
                              X