Texas Petrified Wood points

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Texas Petrified Wood points

Some PW from Texas, come in many shades and colors and you can most often see the see the grain running thru it....I would assume a difficult medium to work with!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_2015-02-09-6 [replaced].jpg
Views:	391
Size:	141.2 KB
ID:	216056

I can see several types in this group (San Patrice , Albany, wells, Gary and possibly a dalton) which tells me that many of tribes picked up this lithic and gave it a shot!

Comment

Thanks for showing! I think frames by lithic type are an awesome way to see the subtle variations in the lithic and the larger variation in  style/technique represented by different cultures. 
      I'm going to try and do a Dover only frame, I need about 10 more pieces but I'm going to include small tools also.

Comment

Good collection of PWood

Comment

Hey Clay, You have lots of very well made Pet Wood points there. I'm sure you are correct that Pet Wood was difficult to work. I have a couple hundred pet wood points from near Lake Livingston in Eastern Texas.  Many of the points are crude looking. If I ever tried knapping this material I probably wouldn't think the ones in my collection were crude at all.  :laugh:
          Michigan Yooper
          If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

I've found a few,  but not too many up here.  They are very nice.
            South Dakota

Comment

I count 50+ points in this case which holds all my intact/mostly intact pieces. So they are not supper common here but I know that most hunters in Texas find PW points fairly often. May not be as common up north. I would say that 1 in very 30 points I find is PW....so kinda rare....probably took a skilled napper!

Comment

sdhunter, i would think you should be able to find some petrified wood artifacts in your area
                there is a type of petrified wood known as "rainy buttes" that comes from north dakota
                i know it was used by the ancients as i have seen artifacts made of it
                it is a fairly easy to work type of PW,i love working the stuff
                it is usually brown colored,like rust. but also comes in a red and yellow

Comment

Working...
                X