Colorado Scraper Lithics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colorado Scraper Lithics

These scrapers are from Colorado Weld County. The last two have already been posted but I thought you might like to see some more of the colorful lithics from this area. It does seem that the special lithics were saved for use on scrapers.
    Scraper one

Scraper two

Scraper three

Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

The scrapers are from Colorado Weld County.
    Scraper Four

Scraper Five

Scraper Six

Michigan Yooper

Comment

Colorado Weld County Scrapers
      Scraper Seven

Scraper Eight

Scraper Nine

Michigan Yooper

Comment

Colorado Weld County has some colorful stone.
        Scraper Ten

Scraper Eleven

Scraper Twelve

Michigan Yooper

Comment

Colorado Weld County Scrapers in Colorful Lithics
          Scraper 13

Scraper 14

Michigan Yooper

Comment

Nice, especially the "peep's stone". B)
            http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

Wow, all beautiful materials!

Comment

You have some really beautiful rocks there. There is some very fine knapping on some of those edges. Do you think some of those uniface tools are Paleo? Do you have any points made of similar lithic?  And have you identified the kind of stone. Some of those kind of stones look like they would make nice jewelry.

Comment

Hey Joe, I purchased a large lot from the area. The lot included some colorful unifaced knives but no points. These scrapers are all unifaced. Most of the pictures in this thread don't show the edge work well because I was taking pictures to show the colorful lithics. Looking at the scraper with three views (11th scraper) you can see heavy use wear on the distal end. That one was used on some hard material. Sadly we can't say what time period they come from but I see nothing that would indicate paleo.
                  Here are three of the flake knives.

Michigan Yooper

Comment

Awesome lithics Ron.

Comment

Ron are you sure it is Wasco County Colorado I am not finding it on Google maps. But I see Trout Creek chert maybe some Kremling Chert Hartsville chert. But a nice assemblage.
                      Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

chase wrote:

Ron are you sure it is Wasco County Colorado I am not finding it on Google maps. But I see Trout Creek chert maybe some Kremling Chert Hartsville chert. But a nice assemblage.
                          Oops it's Weld County. Thanks Chase
                        I went back and corrected that mistake. I was relying on my memory.  :laugh: Should know better.  :laugh:
                        I went back and numbered the scrapers and would appreciate any information on lithics.
                        Michigan Yooper

Comment

[QUOTE]Ron Kelley wrote:

Originally posted by chase post=155862
                            Oops it's Weld County. Thanks Chase
                          I went back and corrected that mistake. I was relying on my memory.  :laugh: Should know better.  :laugh:
                          I went back and numbered the scrapers and would appreciate any information on lithics.
                          Ok thanks, so disregard Kremling and Trout creek cherts. I am not sure of the lithics, Hartsville is a better bet for Weld County for the tan and brown chert.
                          Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

Ron, Thanks for taking the time and sharing those.  They are awesome!
                            Concerning Scarper 11 with the distal end wear; so the use of the scraper on something hard causes the "beaten"  pattern that is below the demarcating line I drew?  You can clearly see the vertical flaking pattern that starts at the top and then is interrupted by the new pattern.  Makes me ponder what "hard" material they would scrape.  I have a few with the same beaten pattern and others that are just polished from wear.   Maybe bone or hard wood would cause the irregular bottom pattern and scraping soft hides would cause the polished effect?  Just thinking out loud; what is your opinion?

Sorry, the line I drew will not show up but I believe the transition is apparent

Comment

Beautiful lithics Ron thanks for sharing
                              TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Working...
                              X