No announcement yet.

Colorado Scraper Lithics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ron, the Chert beds are all over. Then you got glacial spall's  Welds county is on the eastern side of the divide I doubt there was exchange much from the west of the divide.  I could be wrong, but I have not seen it., a little but not much. Most lithics are local even to the point of 30 miles. I walked a site late last year that drove that point home. A water way separated one chert bed from another from lithics being found. One thing is without a loope or testing on the lithics you dont know. I look for how it looks.
    Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

dang them are some sweet lithics
      i would give my left you know what for a bunch of them lithics
      i could make some awesome necklaces and ear rings from that stuff
      not to mention some heads and blades

Comment

OBION wrote:

Ron, Thanks for taking the time and sharing those.  They are awesome!
        Concerning Scarper 11 with the distal end wear; so the use of the scraper on something hard causes the "beaten"  pattern that is below the demarcating line I drew?  You can clearly see the vertical flaking pattern that starts at the top and then is interrupted by the new pattern.  Makes me ponder what "hard" material they would scrape.  I have a few with the same beaten pattern and others that are just polished from wear.   Maybe bone or hard wood would cause the irregular bottom pattern and scraping soft hides would cause the polished effect?  Just thinking out loud; what is your opinion?

Sorry, the line I drew will not show up but I believe the transition is apparent
          Dylan, You are absolutely 100% correct. Using a scraper on hides only polishes the lower part of the distal end. The obvious fractures on the distal end are from working shell, wood, bone, and perhaps even some stone. I will also add that I believe that these scrapers must have been hafted to create enough force to cause those fractures. It must have been a socket hafting.
        Michigan Yooper
        If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

chase wrote:

Ron, the Chert beds are all over. Then you got glacial spall's  Welds county is on the eastern side of the divide I doubt there was exchange much from the west of the divide.  I could be wrong, but I have not seen it., a little but not much. Most lithics are local even to the point of 30 miles. I walked a site late last year that drove that point home. A water way separated one chert bed from another from lithics being found. One thing is without a loope or testing on the lithics you dont know. I look for how it looks.
            Thanks Chase, With chert beds like that I could imagine that they were guarded. Some of these must have been very valuable to the people (Like gold mines). I wonder if these special Colorado lithics were used as trade items? Traveling over there from the UP I would trade many hides for some of that stone. :laugh:
          Michigan Yooper
          If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

[QUOTE]Ron Kelley wrote:

Originally posted by chase post=155923
              Thanks Chase, With chert beds like that I could imagine that they were guarded. Some of these must have been very valuable to the people (Like gold mines). I wonder if these special Colorado lithics were used as trade items? Traveling over there from the UP I would trade many hides for some of that stone. :laugh:
            Ron, the kremiling chert bed is so vast there would have been no way it could be guarded. It changes in the silica composite. It will get from translucent  with black inclusions to brown to milky white. Trout Creek is almost marbled with.  from white to reds and browns with inclusions of black. Tabletop Chert is red and brown.  Windy ridge Quartzite Is grey of high quality, Like Hixton.  There were enough lithics, up here that. There are lithic areas that are no more than ten miles apart. and you do not see another material but in very small quantities. That is not to say trade was not in place. since like the . Mahaffy Cache of Clovis artifacts. which had Kremiling chert and Tiger Chert.  which are on the other side of the Continental divide. This are is unique area with in a 50 mile radius you have the North Platte, the South Platte The Arkansas, The Rio Grande and the Colorado, Rivers The abundance of chert. and you get picky people. I wish I had studied the lithics such as the quarries.
            Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

Scraper 6 and 11 must be jasper
              South Dakota

Comment

Working...
              X