No announcement yet.

BC Interior Chert -lithic worthy rock?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BC Interior Chert -lithic worthy rock?

Hi All,
    Wasnt't sure if I should post this rock under geology and mineral section, but thought it was worthy of being a good lithic rock.
    In southern interior of BC, in my town of Winfield, we call this rock a "Winfield chert", as I have taken it to the local rock club.and they commonly call it such. My son found it at the beach, just out from the shore, and stepped on it, pulled it up and thought it was cool.
    Rock club members thought it was a great specimen too. Maybe you folks have more of a proper name for this chert, and its other whitish material cemented throughout. I love the reddish marbly color dragged in thin lines. and smooth waxy feel. The concoidal fractures are apparent. yes?
    I figure this is a good material to make arrowheads, or other tools? Just wanted a little incite into the feasability of native usage. There is much of this material above the lake in the mountains, however I've not really looked for it before.

Click image for larger version

Name:	chert3 [replaced].jpg
Views:	41
Size:	7.8 KB
ID:	216054

YOU GO RIGHT, I GO LEFT- AND I REAP THE BENEFITS!!

Thanks for showing. That is a lithic I have not heard of, but looks like some types we have here in Colorado.
    Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

Final pics, thanks for looking... :cheer:

Comment

if my memory serves me correctly
        i have heard of modern flint knappers using this lithic
        i for on have never used it but it looks like it would knap decent
        how much of it do you find,and how big are the pieces on average?

Comment

Gees, :dunno:   Ive never honestly looked for this type of chert, just have heard its quite common here in the valley. Where this piece was found, there is no other chert in close proximity, but there are rock bluffs, half a mile away, where the highway cuts into the hill side. I will do some more research.

Comment

Working...
          X