Ft Payne Chert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ft Payne Chert

I believe this is Ft Payne chert.  Found in WV.  I was reading that there are deposits of this all along the Southern part of the Ohio river.  Absolutely beautiful stuff.  Only piece of it I've ever found.  The natives in my area used Kanawha black flint the most but I've found carter cave and flint ridge too.  I want more Payne!!

Montani Semper Liberi

That is a nice looking material
    South Dakota

Comment

Good eyes young Jedi, Ft Payne it is! Nice artifact too! Very common in Ky, as well as Tn and Ala. First piece I've saw from WV. Thanks for sharing!

Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Josh its a heartbreaker.  Busted base.  Would have been huge.  Like I said I've never seen it around here..I imagine it made its way to my neck of the woods from the bluegrass state but its not confirmable.
        Montani Semper Liberi

Comment

Hey Mike, I like that Fort Payne blade. Here's one from Colbert County Alabama.

Michigan Yooper
          If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

I was reading that it usually contained fossils of sponge and worms.  I'm guessing that's what the little squigglies are?  That is an awesome blade Ron.  I wish mine wasn't a snapped base.  Thanks for showing the examples Josh and Ron.  I always like looking at perty rocks
            Montani Semper Liberi

Comment

Last edited by Hoss; 08-15-2015, 11:13 AM.

Comment

asaa-persimmonpress.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, asaa-persimmonpress.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Comment

Love the Ft. Payne. I'd post some pics but can't use photobucket on my work computer.

Comment

I have only ever found one piece of it...I agree...neat looking material for sure.
                    Montani Semper Liberi

Comment

That is nice material.Thanks for showing
                      east Tx.

Comment

A few Ft. Payne pieces.

Comment

Dang Coach G those are awesome. I have still only seen one piece here in WV
                          Montani Semper Liberi

Comment

Thanks. I love the stuff.

Comment

Some valuable information here :

Comment

Working...
                              X