bird poop chert? ;-)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bird poop chert? ;-)

I was walking the field the other day and spotted at first what I took for bird poop. Just to be safe I flipped it over with my stick and it turned out to be a small projectile point. I have no idea what this lithic is. I hope one of you can help out, or else this little point is going to earn an ignoble name.  (Y)

Attachment IMG_0336.jpg not found
    Attachment IMG_0334.jpg not found

Hey John, I have seen a lot of white patina on KRF but can't tell you what that lithic is.
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Is sure doesn't look like KRF under all that poop!
      Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

I'm pretty sure that is a Black Knox Chert. The outer cortex on that Black Knox is White. I know Knox Chert nodules are very small, therefore artifacts  made from it Are relatively small. What I can't figure out is wether that is a point fashioned from a super small nodule or a piece that has patinated to a lighter color since being made? Or is is from the outer section of the nodule were the cortex is mottled into the matrix?  :dunno:
        If I can find them I have some examples of Black Knox with the cortex still attached. 
        It does resemble bird poop! :silly:  Thanks for showing it!
        Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

I agree Knox Chert
          TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

In Ohio we have flint called bird**** coshocton and thats what it looks like :lol:

Comment

Working...
            X