Unsure of Material

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unsure of Material

I found this piece a few years ago on the Cumberland Plateau here in Tennessee close to the Kentucky line. I believe it to be the only piece I have made of this material. I have wondered what material it is. Anyone know? You Kentucky guys might have seen some of it.

It looks like it could be heat treated, awesome find!
    http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

Would take a guess, fort payne???
      http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

You're probably right about it being heat treated. I believe it has been as well. Just doesn't look like any material I find but that could be why.

Comment

My guess would be Ft. Payne also, F.P comes in several different variations in central kentucky, I use to drive to Cumberland Lake to hunt points and pick up knappable stone, i would load down the trunk with F. P . You wouldnt believe all the range of tans, grays, blacks and white you find this stuff... I would also find a mottled quartzite that was similar to F. P in color but was definatley a quartzite material. F.P and Knox chert are undoubtedly the most abundant lithics in south central kentucky.
          Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Thanks very much KY

Comment

Hey Coach, Not only is that a beautiful material but a great looking artifact overall.
              Michigan Yooper
              If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Another sweet find there Coach.
                Is there any chance that you could do an old man with fat fingers a favor though???
                When you upload your pics could you chose the full size option.
                Bruce
                In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

I would if my phone would allow.

Comment

• 2ndoldman
                    2ndoldman commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I hear you there my friend. Sorry I thought you were using your computer.
                Working...
                X