Lime Creamsickle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lime Creamsickle

Found this point in the broke box from a collection out of SE TN/ Northern AL. It a new lithic to me . Beautiful stuff. I know the color looks fake in my hand but if you look at my skin color its pretty spot on. Any ideas guys. Ever seen this before Sailorjoe? Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2450.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	189933
    Last edited by OBION; 01-05-2016, 10:37 AM.

Never seen anything like that, awesome!
    http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

Good looking material there.

Comment

Freaking awesome material is all I can say. Click image for larger version

Name:	image_6526.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	151.7 KB
ID:	189969
        Bruce
        In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

Never seen any lithic like that, beautiful.

Comment

Found this one this fall looks a good bit darker and I've never found a chip of this material either Click image for larger version

Name:	image_6549.jpeg
Views:	158
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	190013 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_6550.jpeg
Views:	176
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	190014
            Last edited by Hoss; 01-06-2016, 12:23 PM.

Comment

• OBION
              OBION commented
              Editing a comment
              Great point and insitu! That is also some cool material !

• Hoss
              Hoss commented
              Editing a comment
              I wish we could see better pictures of that one! It needs to be in it's own post in mo y honest opinion.

RQ That one looks like it is perfect. G10 maybe !
            Last edited by hudson; 01-05-2016, 09:32 PM.
            east Tx.

Comment

• Rock queen
              Rock queen commented
              Editing a comment
              Not quite missing an ear

Coastal chert? maybe? I really do not have a clue. looked up Jadeite and there are colors that match just not location and do not know the flaking capabilities either.
            Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

Originally posted by Rock queen View Post
              Found this one this fall looks a good bit darker and I've never found a chip of this material either
              Don't remember seeing this one, can we PLEASE see more of it?
              http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

Hey Dylan, It looks like aventurine.
                Michigan Yooper
                If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

• OBION
                  OBION commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I agree it looks very similar but I could not find a documented Southeastern US source or any North American source actually. Perhaps it rarely occurs in quartz formations here?

There are several outcrops of aventurine in North America. The nearest to Tennessee/Alabama would be in Albemarle County, Virginia (Charlottesville Quarry). But it doesn’t have the look of aventurine to me. Too “clean” in mineralogy.

I would say it most closely resembles chrome chalcedony (not known in North America) or chrysoprase… and my money would be on the latter. It’s found principally on the western seaboard (mainly California) and as far inland as Colorado, plus the New England states and down as far as New York. There are however significant outcrops a little to the east of Tennesse/Alabama in Buncombe, Burke and Macon Counties, North Carolina.
                I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Interesting lithic, and good info Painshill. I can't say that I've ever seen any lithic like it either.
                  Southern Connecticut

Comment

I don't believe that second darker point is the same material type.
                    I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Hey Dylan, In the area of the broken tip, does it look like quartzite?
                      Michigan Yooper
                      If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

• OBION
                        OBION commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Ill check it out next week, I'm making this gentleman a case so Ill have a chance to see the point agian

I just saw this post after a little nudge from Dylan/ Obion. Sorry to chime in late but I have not been paying close attention to the forum for a few days. I don't remember having found a point made from a rock that looks quite like that--especially with the greenish tinge. The lithic that occurs in some areas of north Alabama that looks most like what I am seeing is chalcedony. I think I remember James Cambron talk about points that were made from chalcedony. Sometimes I think that chalcedony sometimes has a slight blueish tinge. So if it did come from north Alabama then I would throw out a WAG of chalcedony. But I'm no mineralogist at all. Fact is, what I know about most minerals you could roll up and stuff it in a pea. I've been kinda wondering what type it may be and I haven't come up with a good guess on that. I just did a quick G-search on Alabama chalcedony to see if my memory was good or not about what I remembered about chalcedony. Yeah, it seems to occur in areas around Huntsville and to the east and northeast.

Comment

Working...
                      X