Outcropping I had to have

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outcropping I had to have

I found a massive and I mean massive quarry site up on the highest point in Travis county Texas and this was on the edge. The whole site is at least 2 whole football fields-unreal and beautifull. There is so much flaked lithic scatter its crazy. I usually take 2, 5 gallon bucketsw up there with me and take my time getting the prettiest stuff. Anyways I stared at this piece for like 3 years until I brought it down. I had to set it down a few times to re-coup. Its the piece on top. I couldnt lift the second piece. Heres some examples. I have been bringing stones down from there for 4 years. The first time I climbed up there and looked at all the blue flint across the top of the hill, I thought I was in heaven. Might be? This is above Bee creek before it goes into lake Travis

Wow, that's some great material! Are you using it for knapping, or just collecting it to have around? It sure looks sweet!

Comment

Hey Wilson, Nice material and a great location.
      Michigan Yooper
      If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Gotta love the quarries! love the pic's. Thanks for sharing.
        Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

That is pretty cool.
          Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

You may have something very important there! Is the quarry site a known site, and the chert already identified? Have you found any finished points or tools in the quarry, or immediate area, that would suggest which cultures were using the quarry? If you have discovered a previously unknown source of a new chert type, the next step would be to search for finished artifacts, either at your quarry site, or from other collections near by. You could name a new chert type, Bee Creek or Wilson Chert ! When new lithic source sites are found, it helps identify some of the unknown chert types that we often see, and are also so often misidentified.
            http://www.ravensrelics.com/

Comment

Wow that is one huge chunk O flint. Congratulations on your find Wilson and thanks for sharing your pictures with us.
              TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Working...
              X