Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ok Wanna learn Bout Patina...?..Heres Some!...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok Wanna learn Bout Patina...?..Heres Some!...

Heres an archaic knife that is papered by Dwain Rogers with a nice Flint Material..Im showing patina from one of my papered points to show that this is an authentic artifact...Notice the rough-like surface which reveals this knife is archaic..I have this point magnified 10x which i learned right here is the preferred magnification....jn Ok its true and its ashame that patina can be faked but it is good for us all to know some basics for authentication.Most for sure if you might think about buying.I love finding points myself but the knowledge ive gained has become useful in buying.For instance i just bought one recently for fifty and turned around sold for two hundred...See what i mean?.....jn

Jon,
      I suppose it could be Archaic but I was thinking its a Woodland knife (maybe a Shoshone knife??). I see a lot of very random flaking on it that does not say Archaic to me unless it's Late Archaic. Where is it from?
      It is almost impossible to see any patina on that example, without having a frame of reference- a piece of the material unpatinated, or even a fresh ding on the edge of the piece you have. The patina is just not heavy and I see no mineralization shouting to me in the closeups. So, from the pics it could be old or it could be new. I do not believe that it can be authenticated by a picture, nor can it be discarded from a picture.
      What did Mr. Rogers say with it in-hand?

Comment

Good post and info.
      Patina on a Woodland point from earth/sand/saltwater

Patina seen through, somewhat, with soak in mineral oil  (30 hrs and not generally recommended)

Professor Shellman
      Tampa Bay

Comment

uh Cliff your making me scaired again...he dont much just an archaic knife here it is...jn ..yep! guess im learning bout patina still..... :dry:

Comment

The Rough Surface clearly reveals some patina to me which i guess im not looking right..a clean chip would be a smoother surface....Tom yes different materials patina out different for sure...Like our texas rootbeer flint look how it patina outs...makes the foam of rootbeer...This material is actually a little better grade than the rootbeer..jn

Comment

You know something crazy!!!...Your right dudes..seems like an archaic point would reveal more patina...oh wow!...Oh No!.It might not reveal its archaic....I think though its a better material slower patina.Or like Cliff said late archaic.That point of Toms?..clearly heavily patinated visible without the scope and this knife the patina only visible under the scope..jn

Comment

Nice knife and real pretty material. I don't see much patina either.
              Patina depends on so many factors. You have good quality and low quality
              of the same rock and they will oxidize at different rates. And what
              type of soil they have been buried in makes a big difference.
              I found this post a while back searching for some info on Knife River Flint.
              Not saying your knife is made from Knife River, even tho they do look a lot alike.
              As you say, each material is going to be different, but this article addresses
              some questions and sums it up pretty well, imo.

JoeM

Comment

Working...
              X