Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guide To North East NA Lithics?

Hello,

I've been pretty addicted to this hobby for over two and a half years now, and one thing I've learned is that it can be difficult for a noob to properly identify lithic materials. Now I've seen threads here with pictures of different New England materials, but what I'm looking for is something much more in depth. I would like something that will give me examples of all the known lithics, plus the full range of variations within a lithic type. A geology book of New England NA lithics I suppose is what I'm looking for, and google hasn't been very helpful in my search. Does anyone know of such a thing? Will I have to settle for just a North East geology book? And if that's the case, can anyone make any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

Just a side note, if this sort of thing isn't available, wouldn't it be a good idea for the community here to create threads for each material with with a wide range of examples submitted by forum members laying out the different variations? It would also be great if it included information such as material source, or how far from the source it can be found... stuff like that. Not sure if these types of threads already exist on this forum and I know I'm probably asking for too much, but I'd really like to see something like that.
    Last edited by -=METACOM=-; 05-20-2016, 10:18 PM.

I'm not sure what is available for your region on lithic sources....
    I do understand were your coming from though. Greg and others have been working on adding to that section of the forum. The more we help them with good pictures of different lithics the easier it is for them to fill those voids for those lithics that they don't have. The biggest problem seems to be finding an accurate, in depth source to help identify some lithics so they can be appropriately placed. For example I have many different examples of lithics from Kentucky and Tennessee. But how could I place them into appropriate threads here on the forum if there isn't a good resource to help me or others Identify them?.... This seems to be the biggest hurdle imo. But if ever member contributes what they do know they have, then we've got a good start!
    Last edited by Kyflintguy; 05-20-2016, 11:04 PM.
    Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

There seems to be no single source or reliable one stop book or site to aid us with lithics. You have to do a lot of searching to get what you want. Josh pretty much nailed it as to what we have in place and are trying to do here. If we here could just get good pictures of known without a doubt lithics, we could continue to add to what we have here.
      Charlie, Matt and others have done quite a bit on the NE lithics section so far and every time we get good pics or information, more is added.

"Just a side note, if this sort of thing isn't available, wouldn't it be a good idea for the community here to create threads for each material with with a wide range of examples submitted by forum members laying out the different variations? It would also be great if it included information such as material source, or how far from the source it can be found... stuff like that. Not sure if these types of threads already exist on this forum and I know I'm probably asking for too much, but I'd really like to see something like that."

Check this area out right here at Arrowheads.com:
      Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Whoops, I totally missed that section, thanks for pointing that out to me.

Comment

Well, if the late Jeff Boudreau's expanded guide to New England projectile points is ever published, it does include an excellent section detailing the lithics commonly used/found in southern New England. Including color photos of the ranges for each. Someday!
          Rhode Island

Comment

Hey Mark, I'm glad to see a thread like this. If all members could add a few pictures of known lithics that would keep that section of the forum moving forward.
            Michigan Yooper
            If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

• gregszybala
              gregszybala commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks Ron and yes it would!

I will be working on the Northeast lithics section. I just edited the entry for Hingham Rhyolite. It was listed as a felsite, which was my error originally. Technically, it is a rhyolite......
            Rhode Island

Comment

• Ron Kelley
              Ron Kelley commented
              Editing a comment
              Hey Charlie, I saw your new entry. It's a beautiful point as well as a great lithic.

• CMD
              CMD commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks, Ron. I found a couple more examples of the Saugus Rhyolite to add. It is a pretty material.

Exactly what I was looking for, I appreciate the responses!

Comment

Working...
            X