Yankeetown sandstone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yankeetown sandstone

This is an earlier find from this year and I had a chance to show it to a local archeologist and discuss a few of my best recent finds. He looked it over discussing many different aspects of the piece and confidently placed it in a very early archaic stanfield type piece. this was no suprise but the lithic was. I was confident it was quartz, probably hixton. He told me it was a local material known as yankeetown. This made alot of sense due the fact i commonly find flakes of what I call sugar quartz. I now know that more than likely they are different shades of Yankee "quartz". He said he knew of only one other piece of this pieces quality and color found and it was dug on the olive branch site. This is just a t iny bit of info I was lucky enough to obtain from that good ol fella. i am sure a few of yall will look into this and if you happen to come up with any info or already know any info on this topic please fill me in

Greez , can't fill u in on any info but that's one heck of a point !!!! Congrats !!!!
    As for me and my house , we will serve the lord

Everett Williams ,
    NW Arkansas

Comment

Man that is a beauty
      TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

No help here either kurt. Just a big fat WOW Any chance of showing us the other side?
        Bruce
        In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

• p kurt
          p kurt commented
          Editing a comment
          Sure, I took a few more pics.

Wow. Can't really say much else.

Comment

It is a pretty point and the material is a lot like Hixton in appearance.
          Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Gorgeous! Im glad you got to speak to someone who could give you that kind of information about a piece from your collection, ive found my local archaeologists to be full of little interesting "tid bits" of info, not only about artifacts but about many things.... Nice to talk to someone who has spent that much time learning about a specific area though for sure.... Thanks for sharing!
            Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

That's over the top!

I'm not sure how I'd react if I stumbled upon a piece like that. I do know that counselling would be a necessity..

Comment

That's an awesome artifact. Largest I've seen made of that type of material. A local kid found blade similar to that in a creek I hunt last week. I'm going to try and get good pictures and post on here, would love your input on it type/ age of it when I do.

Comment

• p kurt
                  p kurt commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Be looking foward to seeing it

Here is a few more pics that will hopefully show up clear and focused. I posted this piece early this year and have some good pics on that post. Thanks for the looks and comments.

Comment

Stanfield is what i'd call it. Not familiar with that material but have found a couple things i called quartzite, just assumed it was the milky/bottom of crystals. Awesome find, what else are you saving for later?
                  http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

• p kurt
                    p kurt commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I didn't save it Josh, it was a reposted piece that I got some info on and thought i would share. I find pieces I don't post but anything anywhere near that nice get posted pronto. Lol. I have plenty of goodies I haven't posted that I found before I was a member, I am glad to share. I actually think this is the third time I have posted it. Once when I found it, second in the knife show post, and this the third.

Oh mybad, should have remembered this one but you find quite a few nice ones. I'm still green with envy though.
                  http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

Beautiful piece.

Comment

Working...
                    X