No announcement yet.

Ok rocko's...what kinda stone is this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok rocko's...what kinda stone is this?

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_22288.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	176.9 KB
ID:	232096 I grabbed this from a field in N'eastern Illinois about 2 years ago. The red color caught my eye from a distance. It has kind of a sandy feel to it. I have never found anything made from it before and have seen maybe a few bits of it over the years. Its about the size of a baseball glove. Weighs about 5lbs.
    The chase is better than the catch...
    I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Hey Baba - I think you're right about it being sandstone or similar aggregate. My neighbor bulldozed the side of a hill just above my house and I found similar pieces of the same color. There were also some yellows and blues in with it. When I picked them up I could crumble them in my hand. It must be similar to the geodes that have colorful crystal formations on the inside. In that the soil tends to determine the color of the crystals. Up here we have mostly clay but my neighbors side has a richer topsoil. Anyway I'll take a walk up there and see if I can find any laying around and post them. ...Chuck
    Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

It isn't that soft that it crumbles Chuck but it has an abrasive feel to it. It seems to be workable but I have never seen anything made from it. Not from my area anyway.
      The chase is better than the catch...
      I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

Not much help here but we get a lot of rocks from up north due to those glaciers.
        Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Could it be a red quartzite. This is only a guess, hopefully someone else with better experience will give you a more definitive answer. Included a pick of closest material I have but not from your area.

Name:	image_22292.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	158.3 KB
ID:	232122
          N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

That looks like Argillite to me. Sometimes reddish fine grained and has white flecks in it. But that is not a deal breaker. Argillite comes is many forms. It is a mudstone. The type I m referring to that is reddish or purplish is mostly found in NJ PA NY and CT. How big is it and can you tell us how big the flecks of white are in the stone.
            Last edited by Hoss; 11-20-2016, 03:27 PM.
            TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

I just edited my comment above I will see if I have artifacts made of the material I am referring to and post.
              TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

There is a lot of Argillite in this frame however the frame is old and points glued in place with a plexiglas cover. I need to go in and update this frame. My Dad made this one and it is old school framing.`Every point glued in place with Duco cement. We re-framed this in the 1970's . I say we because whenever he was doing these frames I would get called to help hold the back tight to the front as we flipped it se he could fasten the plywood backing in place. Small job but I was included on the small details. LOL Click image for larger version

Name:	bethany frame.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	138.5 KB
ID:	232128

Name:	IMG_4086.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	232126

See the white flecks I am referring to in the center point below Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4085.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	232127

Name:	IMG_4088.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	140.0 KB
ID:	232129

The red argillite drill in the below picture also has the white flecks . If you look close at these points you will also see the greenish argillite more prevalent in eastern CT and RI Ma areas. It has more of a slate like appearance Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4084.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	171.3 KB
ID:	232130
                Last edited by Hoss; 11-20-2016, 03:57 PM.

Comment

Northern Illinois? Not likely
                  Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Working...
                  X