Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bowenite Bannerstones

Bowenite Bannerstones

Moderator Note: this thread was first posted in 2013 but failed to transfer across to the new forum when the software was updated, and so has been re-created manually.

Posted by [gregszybala]

Charlie and you East Coast folks, thought you might find this interesting.
    Just received my latest copy of Prehistoric American. Great article by David L. Lutz about Crib Mound in Spencer County, Indiana, with many photo's of some of Art Gerber's beautiful finds.
    Included are bannerstones made of Bowenite, the state mineral of Rhode Island. "Often called new jade, and has the the properties and vivid coloration of fine jade." Greens, browns, greys, waxy and lustrous.
    Quite a long ways from Rhode Island!

Posted by [rmartin]
    That is interest Greg. Crib Mound is quite a story.

Posted by [CMD]
    Thanks, Greg. Soon as I saw Bowenite, I jumped on the thread. Very interesting. It's not a common mineral, but it occurs outside of RI. The bowenite is found up in the Cumberland/Lincoln area of RI, a mineral-rich area that has attracted rock and mineral hunters from all over for generations. Interestingly, it's found in the same area as Lime Rock jasper, which mimics Pa brown and gold jasper and was used from Paleo times onward. Maybe that's how they found the bowenite, if the Crib Mound stuff was quarried in RI. No surprise, it's a lot like jade and would make for beautiful bannerstones. Did not know it might have been exported far, but does not surprise me, given its' quality. Thanks for the info. That is a long haul!
    Forgot to add, Bowenite is the state mineral of RI.

Posted by [painshill]
    Yes, it sure is beautiful material. As Charlie says, it is found elsewhere and – apart from several localities in Rhode Island – is reported from Massachusetts (Middlesex Co.), New York (Westchester Co.), Pennsylvania (Northampton Co.) and Vermont (Windham Co.), as well as Maine (Franklin Co.) but occurring as glacial drift boulders.

Posted by [CMD]
    This is high quality green bowenite from the Conklin limestone quarry in Lime Rock, Lincoln, RI. On average, the green is more pale in shade then in this specimen. My wife and I have collected specimens there as well. She collected quality specimens years ago; I'll post photos if I can find them.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	BoweniteConklinQuarry.jpg Views:	1 Size:	59.2 KB ID:	234166
    I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.
Working...
X