What's this made out of?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's this made out of?

Well, yeah, these pics stink so I'm looking for a best guess... What's this point made out of? Found in the Philadelphia area... I included the black point so you can see it's not black... It's gray... Almost bluish gray... It's milky and glasslike (light shines through the edges) not like argillite or slate. My best guess is Onondaga or Normanskill chert... Though I guess it's quite a ways away from where it would have been quarried. Thanks!

Looks green to me. I would go with Normanskill
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

It's hard to nail down and be exact. There's so much of that chalcedony like material that's either from a known quarry, like Normanskill and Cosackie, and also found in glacial cobbles, and even mixed as veins in jasper blocks. If it's translucent, then it's probably a type of chalcedony, heavily water worn, but my best guess is it's from a glacial cobble. The black chert is the same thing. There's so much of laying around, it's hard to be exact.
      http://www.ravensrelics.com/

Comment

Thanks for the input guys! Guess it'll stand as just another unknown. I don't think it's chalcedony though... well, at least based on one chalcedony point I have... the material feels and sounds completely different. I do think it's some type of chert, but I guess as to what kind, will just remain a mystery!

Comment

Very cool points! Rivers in tidal areas often stain materials and these look water worn. There might be another color under the patina. I've seen stained points black and grey on the outside with small dings and on the inside were brown and yellow. I don't know if this applies here buy just sayin' consider it if they've been in the water a long time. Happy hunting.
          New Jersey

Comment

Working...
          X