Cuesta Quartzite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cuesta Quartzite

Formerly known as Salem Quartzite it is a South Jersey stone and possibly quite similar in adjacent states to the south. The report at the link below is a Doctoral Dissertation by South Jersey archeologist Alan Mounier. The name "Cuesta" was coined by Jack Cresson according to the report because of where the outcrops are found. I've met Jack quite a few times and spent time with him learning, beach combing, breaking rocks and just hanging out. A great person. Alan I've corresponded with in the past and he was most cordial. The material is a tool destroyer and I tried the techniques from the report: heat spall the small boulders and reheat for stages of reduction. I had some little luck with the material.

Here is a http://research.library.mun.ca/11089/

New Jersey

more pics: The points were purchased. They came from a collection in Salem County through a trustworthy source. The flakes and chunks I found at a site that is now soccer fields. on the edge of one field chips of this quartzite are still found. I collect samples of materials so of course I collected a couple. At one time I collected a couple boulders for experimental knapping. As mentioned in the previous post, I had very little success. BUT I plan on trying again!!!! Cuesta, a term that refers to the slope between the inner and outer costal plains in South Jersey.
    New Jersey

Comment

My only find of Cuesta quartzite, in Cumberland county. Gray is also a common color as well as pink and tans.
      New Jersey

Comment

• gregszybala
        gregszybala commented
        Editing a comment
        Even, can we use these pics and info in the lithics section?

Hey ka -I would not have known that was quartzite until I took a close look at the points and the lack of typical flaking imprints. That stuff must really be hard to work as it appears you found out. We have quartzite here in Tennessee and I can tell ya I would not even attempt to work with it. Those are nice points you have acquired. ...Chuck
      Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

Very nice looking points you bought there Kayak. Thanks for the info and the link.
        TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Hey Even, That's some interesting info and some real nice looking points.
          Michigan Yooper
          If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

I have yet to find a quartz point in my area...as Chuck said it is probably very hard to work with...those are great finds Kayak...
            The chase is better than the catch...
            I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

• gregszybala
              gregszybala commented
              Editing a comment
              Keep an eye out for Hixton in our area, rare as hens teeth but I've found two partials. Real pretty material.

Thanks everyone for your responses. Pretty is not a word to describe this stuff lol. The report by Mounier is excellent, I encourage all to read it!
            New Jersey

Comment

Greg to answer your question, yes use the photos
              New Jersey

Comment

Working...
              X