Small Hornstone Core: (16 1/2 pounds)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small Hornstone Core: (16 1/2 pounds)

Hey guys, Here is another hornstone core from the same site. This one weighs 16.5 pounds. As you know, it is difficult to picture what the eye can see but I will try. This core is very much different than the 85 pound core. I took eight pictures turning the rock counterclockwise with the rock balanced on a flattened end where a large spall was removed. It appears that the nodule was split nearly in half lengthwise. Many small spalls were removed from the half that remains. After the eight picture gif file I have another jpg showing the flattened end that the rock was balanced on. I hope you can see most of what I see.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Core-2aa.gif Views:	1 Size:	1.50 MB ID:	236737

Click image for larger version

Name:	Core 2b.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	161.6 KB
ID:	236739
    Last edited by Ron Kelley; 01-06-2017, 04:07 PM.
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Pretty cool gif Ron. Thanks for sharing. I would like to see how deep that patina runs when you get around to cutting that up.
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• Ron Kelley
      Ron Kelley commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey Matt, This nodule was in a small stream: I don't know how that would affect the patina. I scrubbed the moss off the rock. I will knock off a spall and take another picture.

One strike and I got a real nice spall. This is the right size for a knife blade. The bulb is visible but not too thick. The patina appears thicker than it actually is because the edge is not a ninety. The patina is closer to one MM than two.

Name:	Lg Spall.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	223.3 KB
ID:	236765Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg Spall b.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	172.3 KB
ID:	236766
    Michigan Yooper

Comment

• Ron Kelley
      Ron Kelley commented
      Editing a comment
      This spall is 6.5 inches long and that is perfect to form a knife blade. FYI There was a nice flat area (platform) where I struck the rock.

• Hoss
      Hoss commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you Ron That is some fine material. Sending you a PM.

Cool!!!!!
    Child of the tides

Comment

That is some beautiful material.
      And how did you do that gif ?
      Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

• Ron Kelley
        Ron Kelley commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey Greg, I have a photoshop program called Image Ready. I simply took eight pictures turning the rock 1/8 turn for each picture. In the Image Ready program I set the time for each picture at 5 seconds. You can make the time whatever you want.

damn that is some great looking material right there

cant wait to see what you do with it

Comment

• Ron Kelley
        Ron Kelley commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey Tim, This is the same material that I was knapping late fall. I have purchased a few orders because it's so good to work. Do you remember the Agate Basin type points? That was the same Kentucky/Indiana hornstone material. I like this stuff.

nice piece Ron
      South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

Now it is time to work your magic and show us the finished point Ron.
        Bruce
        In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

• Ron Kelley
          Ron Kelley commented
          Editing a comment
          Hey Bruce, The high temp today was -10 F and that is what long cold spell has been. I am missing my knapping and will return to it when the weather warms enough to make it fun again.

• 2ndoldman
          2ndoldman commented
          Editing a comment
          Totally understood Ron. It has been cold here too but not that cold.

Today it warmed up to 25 above so I took that spall and busted out a blade.

Name:	Point 338a.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	237085
        Michigan Yooper

Comment

That's some gorgeous material Ron, I dont know whether Im more impressed with the point or the spall you made its self. Lol that was a good strike, I get giddy when that happens.
          Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Working...
          X