Can these be knapped

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can these be knapped

Went on a walkabout this afternoon and picked up a couple of items that I thought someone might be able to work into a point or something. Take a look and tell me what you think.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Rock4.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	152.3 KB
ID:	241805

This reminds me of some of the geodes that we find all over the mountain but these have a solid core rather than a crystallized interior. Still, it appears to be some sort of quartz, but I'm not sure if it could be used for knapping.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Rock2.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	135.8 KB
ID:	241806Click image for larger version

Name:	Rock1.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	241807Click image for larger version

Name:	Rock3.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	241808

This reminds me of some of the brown veined material I've seen blades and points made of. It has a rough outer cortex shown in 3rd pic above. Still - not sure and you may not be able to actually tell from pictures. This may be one of those areas where you have to try it before you know for sure. Anyway - thought I'd ask and see if anyone might know off hand.
    Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

the one in the first pic looks like it could have some great potential,may need some heat

the other one might work,i would try and set up a platform and hit it to see what happens.

some guys can make the worst material work the way they want it to
    i used to love beating on bad material,had some success with some too
    but now a days its just to hard on the body to beat that nasty material

Comment

Interesting lithics Chuck! And yes those lithics are knappable. I believe the first is a chalcedony like chert that forms in Nodules. In central Ky its called Pulaski Chert, but Im not sure the exact name for it here in Tn. Here's a link.

http://forums.arrowheads.com/forum/i...-polk-kentucky

The second is most likely some variation of Ft. Payne. Possibly Tan, blue, Grey.

http://forums.arrowheads.com/forum/i...ntucky-indiana

It would probably takes a very experienced knapper to get something out of those two examples you show. Ive worked similar materials to both you show. The Chalcedony like material is very hard, I had trouble getting good spalls from the cobbles ive found, but natives knew the secrets to opening that rock... Ft. Payne is a good lithic, and fairly easy to work , your piece is kind of chunky and small but Im sure there is a tool in that rock if you did it just right...
      Last edited by Kyflintguy; 02-22-2017, 04:56 PM.
      Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

• Scorpion68
        Scorpion68 commented
        Editing a comment
        Josh - There seems to be a lot of what you call chalcedony here on my mountain. Is it readily available throughout the US or is it localized like many of the chert formations. I'm still collecting for my shipment and wondered if these might be worthwhile including???

• Kyflintguy
        Kyflintguy commented
        Editing a comment
        As a knapper I would definatley give them a go Chuck, maybe unsuccessfully. But I would try. As far as distribution of that lithic Im not entirely sure but I know its fairly common in central parts of Ky and Tn, I use to find it around the lake banks in Laurel and Pulaski Co. Ky. Were I also found geodes as well as lots of Ft. Payne Chert. Im sure that area is geographically similar to your area.

Here's a link to some more info on the geodes you find... I know this is a Kentucky reference but your area is subject to the same geology.

Western Kentucky Office, Henderson, Mapping: Surficial Mapping Program, State Map and Sediment Lab
      Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

• Scorpion68
        Scorpion68 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the link. Those are near identical to some of the geodes that we have here. Now I know the difference between geodes and concretions. Since the one I have in the pic is solid, I'd say it's a concretion.

Man, I'd love to crack some flakes off those...

Comment

• Scorpion68
        Scorpion68 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey Metacom - what type of chert do you have in your area. I learning about the different lithic material we have here in Tennessee and in my area especially. There appears to be more than I thought.

• CMD
        CMD commented
        Editing a comment
        Chuck, the only true chert found in southeastern New England is Limerock Jasper from northeastern RI, indistinguishable visually from Pa jasper.
    Working...
    X