Ancient Hornstone Spalls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ancient Hornstone Spalls

I just got some info and pictures from Eddie, my rock friend in Kentucky. Eddie went back to that spot where he found the 85 pound nodule / Core. Many of the nodules he found yesterday had been spalled and he found some real nice large spalls. I hope to learn something from the spalls before using them. Click image for larger version  Name:	5s.jpg Views:	1 Size:	545.7 KB ID:	246879
    Click image for larger version  Name:	9s.jpg Views:	1 Size:	527.8 KB ID:	246878Click image for larger version

Name:	image_26783.jpg
Views:	2850
Size:	525.4 KB
ID:	246877
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Very cool spalls Ron! Ive got photos of an artifact I once owned that is the same or similar material to that bottom spall in the first photo. That big Bulls-eye spall is gorgeous! Hornstone like that was the going thing in prehistoric Kentucky...
    Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

• Ron Kelley
      Ron Kelley commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey Josh, That is a nice looking material. Do you think it's hornstone? (The one on the bottom of the top picture)

Good looking pieces!
    http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

Yeah I think it is Hornstone Ron, not sure if that St Genevieve or Wyandotte but its somewhere in those formations...
      Here's that piece i was reffering to, a little different but very close...
      Click image for larger version

Name:	20161205_203259-1.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	246893
      Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

• Ron Kelley
        Ron Kelley commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Josh, Man that is a beautiful blade.

Those are some nice spalls ROn thanks for sharing.
      TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Ron - most of the spalls I find are much smaller and not nearly as colorful. Nice material and I'm waiting to see what you produce from them.
        Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

That's beautiful stuff.

Comment

In the first picture bottom spall: I knapped that spall and as it turned out that beautiful striped pattern is a patina. After knapping a point it was just the typical dark gray hornstone.
            Michigan Yooper
            If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

• Kyflintguy
              Kyflintguy commented
              Editing a comment
              Never would have guessed that! Interesting how that happens.
          Working...
          X