No announcement yet.

Cooked Jasper Vs Raw Jasper?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here is an older thread, archived, looks like it never made it over to the newer platform for our forum.

http://forum.arrowheads.com/index.ph...ast-r-i-and-pa

And from that thread, the first photo is a large chunk of the jasper typical of Limerock. The second photo is a cobble from Narragansett Bay. Probably glacial, and likely originating from Limerock. The wife and I loved mineral collecting at Limerock when the open pit still existed....
    Rhode Island

Comment

• -=METACOM=-
      -=METACOM=- commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice examples, I really like the black jasper.

Not just jasper but all quartz and quartzite were heat treated, and is several stages often, especially before the final pressure flaking to finish a point. Red is not common here in south Jersey but occasionally turns up as heat treated pebbles, imported Pa Jasper and various quartzites. Always exciting to see red. Fire pops in the surface give it awayif it was strongly heated.
    New Jersey

Comment

Mark, sorry for the delay but here are the pictures of the pieces I mentioned earlier in this post, first pic is a piece I collected from Limerock quarry. The second is a piece I picked up on a beach in Mount hope bay.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160516_155144574-1476x2624.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	261058Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170817_083725169-1180x2098.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	261059
      Matt, from Massachusetts

Comment

• Shedhunter
        Shedhunter commented
        Editing a comment
        You can see that the Limerock piece is a dark maroon to brown color, where as the beach cobble has alot more red in it. But being a glacial cobble, I don't think there's anyway to know it's source. I'm sure that neither of these pieces are heat treated in any way.

• CMD
        CMD commented
        Editing a comment
        Hopefully, I can show that Limerock photo to one of our local mineral hunters some time. Seeing the banding, does make me wonder if it is actually Limerock agate, which is banded. I'm not experienced enough to make the call...

• -=METACOM=-
        -=METACOM=- commented
        Editing a comment
        I don't think I ever saw the smaller one... I don't know how you resist the urge to spall those.

Charlie, I hadn't thought of that possibility, but I guess it could be agate. If you get any new info or opinions I'd love to hear about it.
      Matt, from Massachusetts

Comment

Working...
      X