Blue chert ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blue chert ???

Going through chips to me can be as rewarding as looking at some points .Its the lithics that are interesting to me or a fossil here and there .
    My granddaughter has me gather her up crystal
    which she now has a proud jar of .
    Her favorite color is blue so when I found this
    well worked chip I had to pick it up for her.
    Last night we were going through our chips and points and she said GRANDMA what is this blue .
    idk . Well we get out the rock and mineral book and it still eludes us . She says and mind you she is 6 years old ... I'll google blue rocks .
    The site is SE Georgia and I promised her I would
    ask you all . She will be waiting for a comprehensive report next Sat . Lol
    She honestly herself came up with Blue Chert .
    I have never found anything at all like this in the area ever .
    Our bedtime story was days gone by . I told her it was the most beautiful lithic and anyone finding this has surly picked it up decades ago . Big words for this little collector . I want to be sure before
    I concur on this with her .
    She being 6 loves this site !

I've seen a lot of coastal plains and coral patinate with that same blue color when it was on clay, deep or if it was in saltwater for a long time. Purdy color!
    Professor Shellman
    Tampa Bay

Comment

Heard some folks refer to it as bay bottom chert & found in several spots in the SE. Pretty!
      Child of the tides

Comment

What a cutie your Granddaughter is! Looks more like a quartz or quartzite than chert.
        Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

We read in the mineral book that all chert ate in fact what you just said . Yes thank you for letting me post this pic of her . It will help in her ingaging in this question she has and we all want the young ones to learn .
          she will really enjoy these responses which with make her goggle each response and suggested lithic .
          Thank you

Comment

Tam - I kinda agree with Greg about quartz or quartzite. Up here on the mountain I find a lot of it but it's mostly like what's in your 3rd pic. However, my neighbor said some women used to come up here asking permission to collect rocks and he told them to take em all. Then he asked what they were gonna do with them and they told him they were looking for geodes, which is like a hollow rock with different colored crystal formations (quartz). It depends on the surround soil and the chemicals in the soil that determines the color of the inside of the geode. They break open the geode and polish the quartz and make jewelry out of it. I'll take a pic of one and post it as soon as I can.
            Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

Tam - here's the pic of a geode I found in the front yard.

Click image for larger version

Name:	geode.jpg
Views:	632
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	262503

Click image for larger version

Name:	geode inside.jpg
Views:	486
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	262504
              Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

Boy this is so interesting .
                She will love this as much as I do .
                Her favorite crystal to .
                Now I will be looking for these geodes . I have bought one for a show case so familiar with what they look like. I have
                never seen the complete whole structure of one .Chuck
                take a look at that long crystal in the crystal pile if you would . Could that be a large piece from the inside of a geode ?
                its like a piece someone would wrap for a necklace which I am going to do anyway but the orgin would be cool .
                Take a look see I thought it might be .
                Like I said I have only bought split ones . I could send a pic of that crystal . My G D would flip , I can just see her
                excitement 😱
                Now I will have to research how to find these whole .and it may not be in the area .

Comment

• Scorpion68
                  Scorpion68 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Want a Geode, Tam. Only thing is I would have to break it open to be sure you're getting something worth shipping?? By the by - If these geodes get broken by plows, hammers, long drops or whatever, those crystals start breaking apart and you're likely to find them anywhere.

Never posted these quartz points they are in pretty bad shape .
                In SE Georgia I think they are called Halifax .
                There are like these Ebenezers we find . They look exhausted and ready to disolve but that's what they look like in peachtree arc. ( the Ebenezer )
                I have not posted after what's been showing up in here wow .

Comment

Tam - if ya get a chance, check out the Rocks, Minerals & Geology forum, page 3- my post of "Found Blue Rock at the Lake." Consensus was that I may have been from a geode.

Comment

Going to it now

Comment

Working...
                    X