Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• As Pretty as It Gets. Fantastic Material

Information & picture below sent to me by my friend David Keith:
    "Guy named Roy Miller made this from heat treated Flint Ridge. Rumor has it he's turned down some serious money for it. Thought you would enjoy seeing it, modern or not. Mind blowing. Supposedly, there have been a few pieces of this green flint ridge found on one site but I personally don't find evidence they were heat treating during the Plevna culture. I have guys arguing the Paleo people were heat treating but I don't buy it. My feeling is middle archaic to be safe. I'm sure some limited happened earlier but most "heat treated" early stuff is fake. They are trying to sell heated color for big money."

Jack

Seen that one on facebook, Im not much into modern but thats a work of art.

Comment

It is a pretty one. I collect some modern, mostly Dwain Rogers stuff as he gets it right. One of the best knappers in the U.S.
      Jack

Comment

Good stuff and great picture, Jack.
        Rock and Gem Magazine had an article about Roy's work a couple of years ago. Awesome colors!
        Been meaning to experiment with it some, but it's still on the To Do list.
        Good question about use of prehistoric heat treating and from what I've seen I would tend to
        agree with you.
        Joe

Comment

Joe
          I would like to get a hold of a large piece of that for my rock collection. I might try my hand at knapping on of these days.
          Jack

Comment

Hmmm...very pretty!  Not nearly as beautiful knowing that it's modern.  The ones you post that are pretty and authentic...those are the ones that are out of this world!!!
            Nice material!
            Pam

Comment

Although not common, some Paleo artifacts will exhibit heat treating. Here are three. In Pa., jasper is the only material that was sometimes heated. The first point shows tip and basal ear heating, the graver exhibits heating, which results in the high surface gloss, and the third point is actually a more yellow jasper, completely heated and transformed into red jasper. At the jasper quarry sites, blocks of yellow/brown jasper, shows evidence of the entire block being fired before it was knapped down into useable flakes.
                 Attached files 
              http://www.ravensrelics.com/

Comment

Paul
                Thanks for information. Nice artifacts. I do not think heat treating was common, but there were pockets where it shows up. If I was planing on buying a Paleo piece that was heat treated I would want one of the big guys to look it over before I did so.
                Jack

Comment

Pam
                  Pretty material is pretty material in my book, but I understand how you see it.
                  Jack

Comment

Hey Jack, Not meant to be personal or critical, but if you have been collecting as long as I have, you don't need to depend on any of " the Big guys " to authenticate an artifact. If you know what your looking for, a good microscope will tell you everything you need to know. The authenticating business is actually becoming a mini-horror story. Way to many bad pieces getting papers, and good pieces getting " killed". I'm sure most every one has had their own experience with these big guys.

Comment

Paul
                      I have a microscope and look at ever thing I buy and know good from bad. I have been at this for over 40 years but I still send any high dollar artifacts before purchase to Dwain Rogers for a paper, because in the resale market that is what people want to see, he knows his stuff, and is trusted by most. I understand you know your stuff and do not need a paper, but that will not work in the world of resale of high dollar artifacts where most buyers are looking for security on the buy side and that COA is their security. There is always going to be shenanigans where money is to be made and that is why I only use Dwain Rogers for the most part.
                      Jack

Comment

That sure is some pretty material there!
                        pkfrey, I also have a Jasper point that is probably Pa. Jasper and was heat treated to a nice dark maroon color!
                        Southern Connecticut

Comment

cgode, Can you post a photo of that? Thanks

Comment

I find quite a bit of yellow/mottled Jasper on my hunting grounds, I believe it's from Eastern Pa., I can't remember the source name off the top of my head......Also find it a dark maroon color which I think is the same material heat treated......here's a Levanna point I found.....

Southern Connecticut

Comment

Chris
                              That is some nice color. You got a picture dried out. Looks like sopme of Pauls stuff.
                              Jack

Comment

Working...
                              X