Hingham Felsite RI Point

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hingham Felsite RI Point

This material is known as Hingham felsite, Hingham being a town just a bit SE of Boston, Ma. A collector I know from the Plymouth, Ma area tells me he finds alot of this lithic, but at the sites we walk in RI, some 50 or so miles SW of Hingham, we've only ever found 2 pieces, a tip, and this piece, which I believe is a Dudley variety of a Mansion Inn blade, which dates Transitional Archaic. One winter day years ago while I went to work my wife drove 40 miles and walked for several hours in potato fields, only to come home empty handed. About a mile from home she walked to the edge of a stream and found this. Ain't that the way it goes sometimes. Anyway, maybe you can tell from the first photo why I took to calling this "the owl point." Not to be taken too seriously, it's not an effigy!

And here's a couple pics in direct sunlight.

Rhode Island

Charlie that is one fine artifact!   The MansionInn is a rare type being made during such a brief perid but having one made of that material on top of the rare occurrence of the point is amazing. Your very lucky to have a woman who shares your passion.
    Thats an awesome find, thanks for sharing it!
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Hoss wrote:

Charlie that is one fine artifact!   The MansionInn is a rare type being made during such a brief perid but having one made of that material on top of the rare occurrence of the point is amazing. Your very lucky to have a woman who shares your passion.
      Thats an awesome find, thanks for sharing it!
      Thanks Matt!  My wife Helen was my best find, and I'm very lucky. And she was a natural from the get-go. She had no idea you could find Indian artifacts in RI, so some 20 years ago, before we were married, I set out to teach her. The roles were reversed immediately.  She skunked me every time we went hunting! In those days, I was not very experienced, even though I had hunted on and off from a very young age. Helen soon had a reputation as someone who was a bloodhound where arrowheads were concerned.  And me??  I buckled down and practiced, practiced, and practiced some more until we finally started to break even on our hunts :lol: So the teacher became a better surface hunter thanks to the student. This particular point is one of my favorites for sure, wish the material was more common then it is here.  Must be one of the more attractive types of felsite from New England.
      Rhode Island

Comment

Charlie
        What a neat artifact. Love that material and the hoot owl.
        Jack

Comment

That one is beautiful Charlie! I always thought felsite was rough and kinda ugly, but not that variety!

Comment

That is a sweet point Charlie, pretty material and congratulations on both finds!
            Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Two unique finds in one!
              (I didn't know you could find arrowheads in RI? :silly: )
              Great example. Thanks for the post.
              Joe

Comment

The more I look at that point the more I love it! Kinda looks like an unfluted Crowfield. I never ask this but if you ever want to sell it or make a trade Charlie let me know.

Comment

Great story and beautiful point. Congrats to both of you. Ray
                  Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

Thanks, friends, for all the kind comments.  Jack, sometimes I think it looks like one of those bug eyed space aliens that steal people in the dead of night :lol: Mark, someone with a broader knowledge of regional lithics ID'd the material for me.  I don't think I would have ever guessed felsite either.
                    It's the center piece in my avatar frame, so I'd have alot of explaining to do if I sold it, esp. since the Mrs. found it :whistle: And you're right, guys, 2 very lucky finds, doesn't matter whose pocket the points are in, they all come home to the same place.  Can't beat that!
                    Charlie
                    Rhode Island

Comment

JoeM wrote:

Two unique finds in one!
                      (I didn't know you could find arrowheads in RI? :silly: )
                      Great example. Thanks for the post.
                      Joe
                      You know what was esp. ironic, Joe, is long before I met my wife she dated a guy who had a collection of personal finds from out west, and he had given her a couple.  So when she first saw what was my fairly small collection at that point, she was like "hey I got some arrowheads, I didn't know you could find them around here!" When I took her hunting I discovered all she needed was to see a particular material once and she could go into a field and find all the flakes of that material! I knew then and there I might have a special hunting partner on my hands!
                      Charlie
                      Rhode Island

Comment

You're a lucky man Charlie, I have to keep an eye on my wife to make sure she doesn't put those old rocks outside on the porch.
                        Butch

Comment

Working...
                        X