Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hump Days

We've all had'em.
    I gotta wonder what kindof day this Late Archaic Guilford Guy was having about 5000 years ago?

http://www.varockhounder.com/uploads...2020147821.jpg not found

It doesn't look that bad from that side, but if we turn it over, you can see the Hump.

http://www.varockhounder.com/uploads...2020179418.jpg not found

Now, this type of "Rhyolite" is very common throughout the Piedmont of NC, and it is being true
    to it's nature. It works real well from one side in one direction, but coming back the other way
    is another story. I would call this,simply, the "Chert-like Silicified Rhyolitic Tuff Stuff."
    But here, too, in this specimen we have an opportunity to delve into the Psychology of Archaeology.
    Let's go back to what kindof a day this Guilford Man was having, and do you think this artifact
    was ever used?
    He obviously couldn't get that Hump off.

http://www.varockhounder.com/uploads...9202029506.jpg not found

I mean we are talking about "Primitive" man here but do you think any self-respecting Warrior
    is going to show up at the hunt with a spear with a Hump like that on it? Let alone go to the
    trouble of hafting it!
    Doesn't look like anything but the original work on it, no use wear.

http://www.varockhounder.com/uploads...2020356276.jpg not found

And, yes I do think they had cuss words. About this time I figure he chunked it down near 'bouts
    to where I found it...............and went fishin'.
    Joe

That is a dandy stack Joe! In a lithic rich area he probably buried it so no one else could see it! Must have been hump day...and maybe some fermented berries were involved! :lol:  Still its a find! Ill take a Fugly over getting skunked anyday!

Comment

I believe based on some of the stuff I have found that the, close enough, good enough attitude has always been around. There are those that strive for perfection and those that could careless. "F#*k it, good enough", either that or his eight year old is learning?
      Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Joe, I got a couple of them ugly Guilfords too. I agree with Greg "Close enough, what's for supper ?"
        Butch

Comment

Thanks, Joe.
          I absolutely LOVE pieces like this. Anything that gives some insight into how ancient people thought or behaved really does it for me. I'm sure that, at heart, they really weren't too different from us. They had good days and bad days, different levels of skill at what they did (we tend to forget this), a sense of humour, an appreciation of beauty... and they knew when to call it quits.
          Roger
          I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Gone fishing is always a good day.
            Jack

Comment

B) 

Comment

Cool thread here LOL I would quit and go fishing too!
                TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Wow, that Rhyolite is something else!  Yeah, looks like someone was having a bad day that with that piece.  This material has a coarse gritty look to it that keeps throwing me off because I haven't seen much of it around here.  Or if I have it's probably one of the types I've put into an organizer bin to figure out later, or I think it's something entirely different than what it is.. lmao.
                  Ok, I just tried to find out more about this material but all I could come up with was a cool .pdf about Rhyolite in North Carolina....  not my state but an interesting read!  :lol:
                  "An Archeological Survey And Petrographics Description Of Rhyolite SOURCES In The Uwharrie Mountains, North Carolina"
                  Ahhh... finally!! Something about Oklahoma.
                  The Rhyolites of Oklahoma  (Oklahoma Geological Survey, 1958)
                  "Though a comparatively small outcrop component of the igneous rocks
                  of Oklahoma the rhyolites dominate the subsurface between the Arbuckle
                  and Wichita Mountains. These rocks are largely extrusive and appear to
                  correlate with volcanics in Texas and eastern New Mexico, though not in
                  a continuous band. The subsurface limits of the rhyolite have not been
                  defined west of Comanche County and considering the sparsity of surface
                  exposures it is doubtful that the rhyolites will dominate the subsurface."
                  Arbuckle and Wichita Mountains!?!  No wonder I haven't seen any
                  ~Noah

Comment

Working...
                  X