Here's a new lithic for me.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here's a new lithic for me.

Searching along a Massachusetts salt pond I found a large, thin flake of an unfamiliar material, I had never seen it before. The flake had a uni-face edge with very fine chipping, nearly erased by the surf. It had the look of a Paleo uni-face tool. I went searching through the yet unpublished version of Jeff Boudreau's New England Typology guide, and in the Lithics section found Wakefield "Salt & Pepper" Rhyolite. My piece matches exactly with the beige patina & small black & white Phenocrysts. I was also happy see that Boudreau stated the Paleo people used this lithic.

Click image for larger version

Name:	flake uniface knife a.jpg - 1.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	255.6 KB
ID:	269808Click image for larger version

Name:	wakefield rhyolite a.jpg - 1.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	269809Click image for larger version

Name:	wakefield rhyolite c.jpg - 1.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	141.6 KB
ID:	269810Click image for larger version

Name:	wakefield rhyolite b.jpg - 1.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	269811

Here is a better picture of the page from the Lithics section.

Attached Files

Comment

• gregszybala
      gregszybala commented
      Editing a comment
      Alan, the link isn't working. Always fun to find an unfamiliar lithic.

Nice stuff, Alan. I think I may have encountered it on rare occasions. I like all our regional rhyolites. Despite the many fine flints around the country, and I'd love to find more flint and jasper, I have always felt that collectors fall in love with their own region's materials at times. Or learn to appreciate them might be the better way of putting it. Speaking of which, I picked up a super specimen of raw Limerock Jasper from the Conklin Quarry in RI at our Gem and Mineral show yesterday. Looks exactly like Pa jasper.

Anyway, nice flake tool. Nice pick up!
    Rhode Island

Comment

That’s really cool. Nice find.!!
      Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

I've seen a lot of collections from Central & North Central Mass and have never seen Wakefield Rhyolite turn up here. We do have many artifacts made of the black Marblehead Rhyolite though.

Comment

Hey Alan, that's a nice uniface tool and an interesting lithic material. The ancient people sure were expert at working a huge variety of different lithic materials. I always enjoy seeing the different lithics.
          Michigan Yooper
          If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Thanks for sharing your new lithic.
            South Dakota

Comment

Good eye! That's a super artifact. Love the material. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Sure would love to get my hands on a copy of that guide... I hope it eventually comes out

Nice find man, thanks for sharing!

Comment

Originally posted by -=METACOM=- View Post
                  Sure would love to get my hands on a copy of that guide... I hope it eventually comes out

Nice find man, thanks for sharing!
                  Be patient, the expanded version is coming out in the near future. Believe me, the wait will be well worth it. I don't believe there is any other regional typology guide anywhere in the country that matches this one.
                  Last edited by clambellies; 11-06-2017, 10:58 PM.

Comment

• CMD
                    CMD commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That's good to hear, and I agree it's as good as it gets....

You have me doing the happy dance over here!

Comment

Working...
                  X