agatized coral head, Tampa bay material

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• agatized coral head, Tampa bay material

This is small agatized coral head, Tampa bay material. I found it just offshore on a beach I find paleo=late paleo material. This is how the Ancients found it. In fairly rare surface deposits of pseudomorph after coral, agatized coral. This chunk was banged on in antiquity to see the material within. Nice coral. This is a common size for surface deposit chunks usually found in clay. Stuff lines my garden...but I almost always only bring home the pieces that have been banged on. You can see that under the outer "rind" there is the best material to knap, glossy and hard. In the center is not so good but beautiful and can see the columnar coral polyp fossils.
    Last edited by tomclark; 11-30-2017, 05:12 PM.
    Professor Shellman
    Tampa Bay

Very nice Tom.
    Bruce
    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

Thanks
      Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

i love working agatized coral
        once heated properly its amazing to work with

Comment

Cool to find that Tom
          South Dakota

Comment

That’s cool Tom Florida NA didn’t have just a whole lot to work with lol
            As for me and my house , we will serve the lord

Everett Williams ,
            NW Arkansas

Comment

You going to include those with the other pics in the lithics area?
              Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Good idea, Greg, I forgot. Should take better pictures....
                Professor Shellman
                Tampa Bay

Comment

I see these amazing points out of that from Fl . You guys really have some nice stuff .
                  My friend sends me pics of his finds . All that digging .
                  I always wondered what it looked like . Thanks now I know .
                  I thought was it like coral with the branches ...

Comment

Agatized Coral Coral heads. Tampa Bay. All from worksites and quarry sites. All the glossy surfaces you can see on these were made by ancient Native Americans in search of suitable or best material to make knives, spearpoints, darts, arrowheads and tools. Apparently the "best" material comes from just under the rind. The outer surfaces of these coral heads and coral pieces are chalky limerock, some are a harder limerock. Many of these were probably not suitable because of the formation of replacing the fossil with chalcedony instead of solidly just forming a mass of cryptocrystalline quartz without the forms of the animal. Some that looks more like animals is chalkier. Agatized coral (chalcedony pseudomorph after coral is the name of the animal looking stuff vs the "clean" material). I've been using them for landscaping lol and need to clean them off of moss and dirt..
                    Professor Shellman
                    Tampa Bay

Comment

Working...
                    X