is this material obsidian?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is this material obsidian?

Wondering if this material is obsidain..I'm from West Virginia and it's not a common material at all, so any ideas?

Highly unlikely. Someone from out your way will be able to give you an idea of what it may be. Clear photos in natural light will help others give you some clues as to what you have. Looks like different pieces? The last two photos may be a scraper.
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Yeah all diff pieces of the same material doubt together.i asked the state archeologist and they said they weren't familiar with that material..I'ma take some better pics,n show the translucency and repost..thanks again

Comment

The 3rd, 5th and 6th pieces appear to be a dark grey chert like what we have down here. The other three I would need clearer pictures under natural light to be sure.
        Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

Some cherts can be black in color. As mentioned better photos are needed to try to distinguish between chert and obsidian.

Comment

Just from the photos, it looks like a piece of slag. Which is the solidified impurities that are removed from melting iron. I've found pieces like this, and I think it's just a coincidence from being knocked around in a field that sometimes these pieces take on the shape and look of a tool.
            http://www.ravensrelics.com/

Comment

I thought it was also,but ibfind it literally where no industry as been,maybr some logging. I've found it in two diff spots both isolated.and has like a core rock..someyimes it's green could be both or just black..ill find a pic of the core,and outter rock. My pics make it so hard to tell.. It's def not kanawha black flint or chert tho.it does have like an oily sheen n light.i dunno what that means the..i found this on a ridge top.

Comment

Normally you won't find the slag near the steel industry foundry. They wait until there's a truck load of it and then find an inconspicuous spot to dump it. There's a field near the Colebrook State Game Lands in Lancaster Co., Pa. that's full of chunks of it. Dumped there probably back in the 40s. Beautiful stuff, and good flint knapping material.
                http://www.ravensrelics.com/

Comment

i highly doubt its obsidian

cant tell from the pics,but if its not a chert i would bet my left arm its slag glass

Comment

Nothing like the obsidian I've seen or found.
                    Child of the tides

Comment

That last pic sure looks like Upper Mercer. Better images would help.
                      fldwlkr
                      Headwaters of the Little Miami, Ohio

Comment

Doesn't appear to be!😀

Comment

Working...
                        X