Rhyolite Cache from Newfoundland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rhyolite Cache from Newfoundland

I came across this page last night while doing research on a different lithic altogether. I thought of all the forum members who are fond of their rhyolite and decided to post a link. Some really nice bifaces here. Change Islands is the name of the village where found, in Newfoundland, Canada.
    http://elfshotgallery.blogspot.com/2...nds-cache.html
    Rhode Island

Cool find, one we all dream of coming across. Thanks for info.

Comment

Remarkable Find! Thanks for the link.
      The size, shape, and material are all very interesting. I would like to hear more about this and
      if they definitely decide on a time period for them.
      The flintknapping photo-essay on the site is pretty cool, too.
      I like his simple primitive tool kit.
      Joe

Comment

spanky wrote:

Cool find, one we all dream of coming across. Thanks for info.
          Your welcome, spanky.  Yep, that would indeed be a dream come true!
        Rhode Island

Comment

JoeM wrote:

Remarkable Find! Thanks for the link.
          The size, shape, and material are all very interesting. I would like to hear more about this and
          if they definitely decide on a time period for them.
          The flintknapping photo-essay on the site is pretty cool, too.
          I like his simple primitive tool kit.
          Joe
          Joe, from his own comments, and those of people in the comment section, they are probably Late Woodland.
          BTW, he does seem to be an excellent flintknapper and he likes using Ramah Chert, a type of translucent quartzite quarried only in the far north of Labrador. It was used throughout prehistory and points made from it have been found as far south as Rhode Island. I was researching Ramah Chert when I came across his story of the rhyolite cache.  Here's an example of his work with Ramah Chert:
          The Rooms demo went well yesterday. There was a steady stream of people throughout the afternoon. I finished one point and started on a se...

Rhode Island

Comment

Amazing cache! Thanks for the link, I enjoyed it.
            Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

CMD
              That is a very good article and the comment section was very good also.
              Jack

Comment

Wasn't there a fluted point found in Vermont made from Ramah chert?........hmmmm......Northeast passage peopling the America's???
                Southern Connecticut

Comment

Keep working that angle, CG. I'm right behind you. 
                  JoeM

Comment

cgode wrote:

Wasn't there a fluted point found in Vermont made from Ramah chert?........hmmmm......Northeast passage peopling the America's???
                    Yes there was, Chris!  Here she be:
                    Pictures and description of a fluted point from Franklin County, Vermont made of Ramah chert from Labrador.

Rhode Island

Comment

Thanks Charlie, the cache link is great and so is the Vermont Ramah chert point link! You said there have been other points found made from Ramah chert?....as far south as RI? Are those put to the scientific analysis as well, with definitive results? I had only heard of the Vermont point but it certainly stands to reason that if there's one, then there's a bunch more.
                      JoeM, I know the theory of a Northeast passage is quite unpopular among the pro's for the most part....kinda upsets their apple cart to a major degree. hmy: .....but you have to admit (or be in denial) that evidence like Labradorean chert and some of the carbon dating dates pre-dating clovis makes one wonder.....at least is does for me, but I don't have the education or experience in this field................then again, the earth was flat at one time.....right??? 
                      Southern Connecticut

Comment

Chris, there was a Nova episode entitled "Secrets of the Lost Red Paint People" which dealt with the Maritime Archaic complex found in Labrador, Newfoundland, the Atlantic provinces of Canada as well as Maine. It included a map of the distribution of Ramah chert and mentioned it had been found as far south as New Jersey.  I imagine it has turned up in every New England state. I have a photo of a large "killed" blade of Ramah chert that was found in RI. It's shown in Charles Willoughby's 1935 classic book "Antiquities of the New England Indians". Don't know if copyright law still applies to such an old book, so I'm reluctant to post the photo here. Ramah chert was quarried right into the Late Woodland and was perhaps traded for at times to account for it's distribution far to the south of Labrador. Don't know if analysis done to samples from RI or elsewhere, I imagine that's been the case with some, but I've seen many referances to it and I'm certain it shows up here and is not being misidentified as such.
                        Rhode Island

Comment

Working...
                        X