Blue-ish Chert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blue-ish Chert

The only reference picture that resembles this point (found in Finger Lakes Region in New York) is in Overstreet's Guide, Eastern Central region, termed 'Eastern Stemmed Lanceolate': Parallel sides, square shoulders, ground hafting area. Any ideas for a better type identification? None of Boudreau's sketches of re-worked points in New England Typology look like this point. Thought it might be a re-worked Genesee, but not supported by Boudreau.

Also, the material does not resemble any other Onondaga Chert I have, the most common material from New York. Not really greenish like Normanskill. Hope the pictures show this blue-ish material.
    Cayuga County, NY Finger Lakes Region

Cc - I'm not familiar with artifacts in your area but that is a really nice looking point. Hang loose a bit and I'm sure some of our NY members will be helping you out. By the way - that looks to be a fresh find - is it?? I almost forgot - Welcome Aboard the website.
    Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

• searchinghawk
      searchinghawk commented
      Editing a comment
      genesee is a good guess,,dont think its paleo

I think the guy who will best be able to answer your questions will be Paul Frey(pkfrey) from Pa. He recently posted a thread asking about what causes the various colors in Normanskill:

I am helping a friend of mine from NY identify some of the cherts he's finding. One of the most frequent he's finding is Normanskill chert. We all know that

I can't tell you what the material is. I have found some Normanskill in RI of the typical green color. I never knew it actually comes in quite a range of color. For years I had a fluted point from Ma., and did not know the lithic. Then one day I showed Dr. Mike Gramly, who would know if anybody would. He called it Normanskill right away. Here it is, shown because it's quite blue-ish in tone. Not the same tone as your point, but it's not what I would have thought was Normanskill before I asked Gramly. Anyway, hopefully pkfrey will see your thread or you can pm him and direct him to your thread. I regard him as our go-to guy for lithics from your area.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9500.PNG
Views:	467
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	282738

Rhode Island

Comment

Originally posted by Cmcramer View Post
      The only reference picture that resembles this point (found in Finger Lakes Region in New York) is in Overstreet's Guide, Eastern Central region, termed 'Eastern Stemmed Lanceolate': Parallel sides, square shoulders, ground hafting area. Any ideas for a better type identification? None of Boudreau's sketches of re-worked points in New England Typology look like this point. Thought it might be a re-worked Genesee, but not supported by Boudreau.

Also, the material does not resemble any other Onondaga Chert I have, the most common material from New York. Not really greenish like Normanskill. Hope the pictures show this blue-ish material.
      BTW, are you using the revised and expanded edition of Boudreau, just published? The reason I ask is because, although he includes overlap sketches of several point types, to show the range created by re-working, he did not include such sketches with Genesee, but only photos. So just wondering if you meant photos, not sketches? My apologies if I'm just misunderstanding you. Perhaps you're saying you checked his overlap sketches of other stemmed styles.

Rhode Island

Comment

Right you are, CMD. I do have the recent Boudreau (awesome) and he does not, as you say, include overlap sketches of Genesee. I guess I was extrapolating from the other overlap sketches: (see page 78) I don't see where re-working would result in parallel sides like my example. ...but I'm open to suggestions!

Scorpion68 - this is a fresh find from an Old Timer's cigar box; his collection was collecting dust as was some of my cash. We are both happy.
        Cayuga County, NY Finger Lakes Region

Comment

Welcome to the forum from SE VA.
          Last edited by Havenhunter; 02-05-2018, 01:17 PM.
          Child of the tides

Comment

Welcome to the forum. Not sure on your lithic or point type.
            TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Has kind of a cresap look to it. Not sure though.
              TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

It look's nice but Airplanes.
                http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

Oh I guess that was a mistake, Mybad.
                  http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

Working...
                  X