"Baybottom" Chert FL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Baybottom" Chert FL

When reefs get "fossilized", agatized , parts of it become Baybottom chert which shows the fossils within the stone, similar to coral. Coming from the water and being under water for a long time this material is almost always has a dark patina, often black and brown.
    Professor Shellman
    Tampa Bay

That effect leaves a really unique patina Tom...
    The chase is better than the catch...
    I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

Tom - would this be similar to the point you posted a week or so ago, that had a snowflake pattern fossilized on it's surface??
      Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

• tomclark
        tomclark commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes it's the same geologic/chemical process of replacement of the organisms' structures with cryptocrystalline quartz: chalcedony/Agate, even chert. In the case of coral, neat specimens of coral polyps. In baybottom, all kinds of organisms, mainly shell but sometimes there are also a few coral polyps in with the mix of other animals. Both materials will patinate the same to white in sand/dry and in water will take on colors of the river patina. But that frosting patina was almost unique!

love it .
      Learned

Comment

This has defiantly prompted me to search for a new mineral book about my area .
        I need to get to this point . I have always collected rocks since I was a little girl . When I find a point I seem to be looking up or at the material ( lithic) more then the ID

Comment

Working...
        X