• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bayport Chert, MI

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0376.JPG
Views:	1545
Size:	198.5 KB
ID:	285819 Since I'm from Michigan, you know I have a "few" samples.

Beautiful, Man!
    Professor Shellman
    Tampa Bay

Comment

• Bayport
      Bayport commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! I forgot to put in a size reference. The center piece is 6 7/8 inches long. That is the largest, complete Bayport Chert Hopewell I've ever seen... plus...double Bulls Eye.

Love seeing a frame full of artifacts made from one material. That's a killer frame! Thanks for sharing!

Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

You are welcome 👍

Comment

Great introduction! Great frame of points. Bayport may not be the prettiest chert but it was the chert of Michigan. Welcome.
        Are these personal finds and what part of Michigan are you in?
        Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

• Bayport
          Bayport commented
          Editing a comment
          I wish they were personal finds, but they are the result of years (decades) of attending local auctions and a couple from Old Barn and a Rollands Auction. Prior to the internet, I could hit multiple local sales on a Saturday/Sunday. Now days, that activity has been reduced to only one or two local sales a year at best. I'm in Eaton County, so it was an easy drive to sales in Barry, Kent, Ionia, Ingham, Clinton, Shiawassee, Livingston, Kalamazoo, Calhoun, Jackson and Washtenaw counties. I have to be honest, that I don't object to the occasional "exotic" chert that made it into Michigan from Ohio, Indiana and Illinois for example.

• gregszybala
          gregszybala commented
          Editing a comment
          Auctions aren't what they used to be. Thanks, I used to live in Livingston county.

I'm kinda the same way with certain lithics from my home state of Kentucky. Especially those lithics that can only be found there, in my case Boyle Chert . Its not the prettiest Chert but was prized by the Natives who lived there from Paleo- Mississipian times. Good to see I'm not the only person with this localized lithic addiction lol.
        Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

• Bayport
          Bayport commented
          Editing a comment
          I agree fully. Bayport Chert was used in Michigan from Early Paleoindian on down thru Late Woodland too. There are other cherts from Michigan, such as Bois Blanc, Stony Creek, 10 Mile Creek, Norwood and De Tour... as well as Quartzites, and Copper.

• Pinetree1
          Pinetree1 commented
          Editing a comment
          Boyle can be beautiful especially if it's heat treated. Some of it reminds me of Flintridge!

WOW That is a great display of Bayport chert artifacts. Many different types and the double bullseye is awesome.
        Michigan Yooper
        If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Thanks, Ron.

Comment

That’s truly incredible. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

You are welcome, Hi-Lo. One of these days I'll have to put together another Bayport frame with some Hi-Lo examples included...

Comment

Those are some fine looking artifacts Thank you for sharing them with us.
                TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• Bayport
                  Bayport commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You are welcome. There were amazing artifacts made on Bayport Chert. That's not what a lot of folks think, when they hear "Bayport."

Those are awesome. It’s nice to see so many examples of that lithic. A guy can learn better. Thanks!
                South Dakota

Comment

• Bayport
                  Bayport commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks! That's the way I like to see a lithic display as well. Bayport (like other lithics) has many different looks to it.

I know "Turkeytail" would've been all over this thread. RIP

Comment

• Bayport
                  Bayport commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yes he certainly would have liked the frame. Great guy, and very knowledgeable. He did see some of the specimens in the frame, in the past.

Here is another set of Bayport artifacts, from late Paleo to late Woodland. Put in several Hi-Lo specimens.
                Attached Files

Comment

Bayport, do you mind if I put these pics in the lithics area of the info section? Great photos showing the Bayport well.
                  Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

• Bayport
                    Bayport commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That’s fine with me. Perhaps those will help change the perceptions regarding Bayport Chert.

• gregszybala
                    gregszybala commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Lol, it is strange, but it does have that! Thanks
                Working...
                X