Chert from Everton formation, scott co. MO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chert from Everton formation, scott co. MO

Some of the local chert in my area. In-situs of an outcropping, the bedded chert between layers of dolostone, and a flake tool. Does anyone know if this chert has a distinct name, does anyone else have examples of this in your area?

Wow, love the pics of that outcrop! Thx.
    Professor Shellman
    Tampa Bay

Comment

Nice looking lithic Andy. It's amazing the difference in color between the outcrops and what you're holding in your hand. Natural light really makes a difference.
      Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

• AndyinMO
        AndyinMO commented
        Editing a comment
        The majority of this particular outcrop is comprised of dolostone from the Everton formation. The chert is bedded in layers horizontally between the dolostone and is brecciated on some spots. I agree, the color difference between the chert and dolostone is quite striking. The chert itself can range from a whitish-gray all the way to that dark brown color.

Wow Andy , thanks for the pic of the out crop . Looking for those all the time .
      Really nice lithic almost looks Iike Tiger Chert . Ron will chime in and tell you .

Comment

Hey Andy, I like the outcropping pictures. I have knapped a few cherts from Missouri but not that one. It sure looks like it would flake well. Have you found any artifacts made from that lithic material?
        Michigan Yooper
        If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Here ya go Ron. It does appear to flake very nicely. I tried to get a good closeup of the fine pressure flaking on the thumb scraper.

Comment

Here are some more pics of a stand-alone outcrop. This rock is known locally as Lone Rock. It is know, in local lore and some documentation, to have served as a trading post before and after the arrival of white settlers

Comment

Mozarkite is my best guess. Lone rock looks cool. Where is it?

Comment

• AndyinMO
                AndyinMO commented
                Editing a comment
                Lone Rock is in Scott co. Missouri.
            Working...
            X